What is your favorite woodworking "therapy" ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
+1 for cleaning and organizing! (Prolly cause I can see immediate results!) BUT, I don't get that
"therapy" too often!! :nah:

Actually, I like making small projects that I can finish in a day or a few hours. :icon_thum That's probably why I'll never ascend to the ranks of a Fred or Amy, or Mshel, Larry Rose, etc and "Go Pro!"
:wsmile:

richlife

New User
Rich
An invaluable question from an astute woodworker! Thanks, Andy.

While I can really get behind many of the activities described here and actually benefit (in some way) from the cleanup, the sharpening, the planeing, etc., mine is just a little different. There is no question about what I like most -- the original carving and shaping with gouge and (maybe) a mallet. Get started and time is lost -- it's hard to stop for anything including meals, honeydos and making a lap for the little canine monster. But the most therapeutic is the next phase -- beginning the smoothing. This is when I start removing the gouge marks, making the carving smooth and really for the first time finding the full grain pattern with scrapers. It's not fast, it's not easy and sometimes it is a little frustrating. But to do it, I have to get into a zone and that zone gets its high from drawing out the beauty from the wood. Only one thing is better and it doesn't last long and it doesn't usually take the time needed to get into a zone -- that's applying the first finish coat. So for therapy, the smoothing with scrapers is the ultimate. I always look forward to it -- at first. Rich :help:

erasmussen

New User
RAS
Anything I can do in the shop that lets me listen to George Jones, Hank Williams, Hank Snow, Bobby Horton or anybody else in country music in the 50s or 60s. Oh - and Jerry Clower. That usually means the saws and the dust collector are unplugged. :wsmile:

And Kitty Wells, Jean Shepard, Wanda Jackson, Lynn Anderson, Bill Anderson, Patsy Cline and more:gar-Bi

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
As far as what's most therapudic? Just being in the shop doing anything.
Dennis and Earl, don't forget Willie, Waylon, Johnny Cash, Conway, Lorretta, Dolly, Vern Gosdin, Gene Watson, Carl Smith, Cal Smith, on and on and on. The louder the machine that's running, the louder the stereo.

cpw

New User
Charles
Charles,
It's a shame you aren't closer by; I would be happy to let you split some spindle blanks for me, though I usually use a froe and maul (you have to make just one crack and stay with it). :rolf:

Somehow I don't think that would provide the same level of catharsis as splitting logs in twain in one glorious strike.

SubGuy

New User
Zach
I love so many things it is hard to say. It all depends on the mood. If I'm frustrated then chainsaw, framing hammer or anything powerful/destructive. If I'm mentally drained then cleaning up shop, card scraper (even if it's on a 2x4), hand plane, hand sanding. Physically tired would be alot of sitting and planning. But by far, I agree with Trent. Beer (or Bourbon) and Shop with a chair = Relaxation.

gritz

New User
Robert
I gather pine galls and small maple and oak burls from the woods on the mountains when they are easy to see in the winter. There is always a bucket of them waiting for me to turn Chruma ornaments, tops, window hangers, etc. The pine smell and the rhythm of turning and sanding them makes time disappear. Then I realize I can't move my back, or my leg is asleep.

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Anything I can do in the shop that lets me listen to George Jones, Hank Williams, Hank Snow, Bobby Horton or anybody else in country music in the 50s or 60s. Oh - and Jerry Clower. That usually means the saws and the dust collector are unplugged. :wsmile:

Dennis, you like COUNTRY music???? How did I miss that ?!?!?!!?:rotflm:

EDIT: Dang, just realized I never answered the real quesion.... For pure enjoyment it's the smaller projects that I want to do, usually a problem solver of some sort (make something else easier, safer, faster, better, etc). I like the fact that I'm not only in making something, but improving something. I agree with Trent and the others though that some time I enjoy just sitting there and doing nothing (with or w/o cold beverage).

Shamrock

New User
Michael
Here's mine:

Putting the 1st coat of a wipe on oil finish (danish oil, wipe on poly, etc.) on a piece that it just took me months to build. For me this is when the project really comes to life so I try and savor the moment and usually try and buy a NEW CD to listen to while I'm wiping on the finish. I find that by listening to a great CD while finishing a project like this allows me to prolong the satisfaction I get from the experience. Then, when I listen to the CD later on I find it brings me back to that same peace I had during that time.

Some recent examples : My wifes desk : Faithless " to all new arrivals"
Brazilian Cherry Hal Taylor Rocker : Muse "the resistance"
Moser stool : Silversun Pickups

Then if the CD is "really" good I pour myself an adult beverage when I'm done and go listen to it again while just sitting in the shop.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Favorite tasks: carving and shaping windsor seats in white pine is right up there on top. Its just fun. Kinda like splitting green straight grained oak with a maul... just makes you feel like you know what you're doing.

dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS