what do you use to sand the inside of a bowl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
Not quite sure what the best way is to sand out the interior of a bowl and would like to see what you guys are using. I tried by hand with sandpaper but it heats up kinda quick and if I am not careful I end up with a groove from the edge of the paper which means more sanding

I saw some mention of round sanding sponged but can't seem to find a source.

Then there are these things http://www.ptreeusa.com/bowlsander.htm but not sure how well they take to inside curve

thnx...Steve

Grumpybear

Gary
User
Woodcraft has the sponge that you use in the drill. Another thing is to use a scotch brite pad between your hand and the sand paper. Also, use a thin sponge, like those 3M sanding pads and that holds the sand paper as well as protects my dainty little paws from the intense heat!

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
if you are burning your fingers you are sanding to hard or the lathe is turning too fast or both. slow the lathe down and use a light touch. your paper will last longer and your work will have less tendency to crack.:wwink:
also your fingers will feel better........:gar-Bi

Grumpybear

Gary
User
Fred is right, but I've had some green stuff that gets dicey at times. The other thing is to be sure to work through the grits and that will reduce the heat too. (Fred, love that monkey!)

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Fred is right, but I've had some green stuff that gets dicey at times. The other thing is to be sure to work through the grits and that will reduce the heat too. (Fred, love that monkey!)

self portrait.......:rotflm: and +1 for all the grits. don't skip any.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Be careful about insulating yourself too much and letting it heat to the point where you scorch the wood, though; BTDT...

Flap wheels on the drill work pretty good. Also don't get hung up on having to do it spinning; a goose neck scraper leaves a nice finish.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
thanks, how high of a grit do you go to?

depends on what it is. I sometimes stop at 240 or may go to 12000MM. sometimes I start at 220 [on a good day] and sometimes 40:rotflm:[on a not so good day]:gar-Bi

Don Alexander

New User
Don
SANDING = a very necessary pain in the butt that requires good technique to achieve good results

just consider sand paper to be your most important turning tool it will help get you past the loathing

:rotflm::rotflm:

crokett

New User
David
The attachment at Woodcraft costs 15 bucks for something you could make in your shop for about 2 bucks. You'd be better off getting the 30.00 Sorby gadget that has a 2" circular pad attached to a handle. It pivots and is on a bearing so that when you are sanding with the lathe it spins while it sands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors