Weekend Project - Turning Center

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimwill48

James
Well I don't know if I would really call it a Turning Center but for a long time I have been wanting to get all my turning stuff in one place and with in reach and this is what I came up with.

The cabinets are made from MDF and are 19" wide, 48' long, and 12" deep..each has 3- 12", 1-8" shelfs and a 5"deep drawer. The chisel/gouge rack is made from 6" pieces of 2" PVC pipe. (bad story here, bent a 1/2" Timberwolf 4tpi blade when cutting the 30 degree miter on these, hand holding the pipe and one twisted, blade is still useable for rough cuts: ie cutting out a round bowl blank but I will need to change it befoe I do any fine cutting)

Anyway, didn't hurt the wallet to much either just 1-1/2" sheet and 1-3/4" sheet of MDF and 10' piece of 2" PVP. ow all I need to do is start locating the turning tools from the various places and start loading them up. Now where is that 2 prong MT center..........................

James

PICT0033a.jpg

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Awesome James! :icon_thum I wish I could organize myself that well. I really like the tool holders... very cool! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
So this is what the DARKSIDE looks like..... :week: :lol::lol::lol:

Very nice work James! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Trent :icon_bigg

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Nice setup! I'd like to have the same thing and its on my "wish list". You turned it out quick too -- always a bonus! :icon_thum

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Nice, that looks a lot like my turning center. Except it is clean, organized, well done, and you got two lathes :crybaby2:

Dave:)

sapwood

New User
Roger
Now that's a sharp setup!
And at least two of everything: lathes, bench grinders, cabinets, and chisels, gouges, skews galore :thumbsup:
The center chisel rack is really cool . . . is it an original creation????

Very impressed,
Roger

cskipper

Cathy
Looks good - although it is pretty clean :laugh: Question - it looks like it could be difficult to reach your turning tools. Is the is the distance in the picture deceiving?

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
That's a great idea, James:icon_thum! Everything is so neat and organized:dontknow:.
So, when are you going to start building mine:slap:?

jimwill48

James
No, I think I saw a pic of something like it some where and kind of remember it when I was doing this.....James

Now that's a sharp setup!
And at least two of everything: lathes, bench grinders, cabinets, and chisels, gouges, skews galore :thumbsup:
The center chisel rack is really cool . . . is it an original creation????

Very impressed,
Roger

jimwill48

James
The distance is deceiving in the photo, everything is well in reach about 24 inchs, well at least for me - I'm 6'2" with long arms. Clean for the moment anyway, surprising how chips can find their way into every nook and cranny............James
Looks good - although it is pretty clean :laugh: Question - it looks like it could be difficult to reach your turning tools. Is the is the distance in the picture deceiving?

Will Goodwin

New User
Will Goodwin
That looks great! One thing you may want to add at some point if you think it would help (saw it recently in a book) are some hinges to the chisel rack so that it swings away from the wall. You may not need it because of the way you have it set up (looks close), but if you ever decide to rearrange, it may be worth checking into.

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
Great job James! I admire your organization and your TWO lathes!!!! :icon_thum

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Good looking setup, I am still looking for my first lathe, saving for my first lathe, I also saw in your photo some distinct orange on your table saw. I have the same saw as well as some more orange tools in my shop. I find them to be of good quality.

Tracy

jimwill48

James
Yes! Very Happy with the Ridgid TS3650 :tool: had it for about 2 years and its a great saw, never had an issue with it, just wish the dust handling was better. I also have the Ridgid 6" Jointer and really like it also, one of these days I would like a 8" or better......
James
I also saw in your photo some distinct orange on your table saw. I have the same saw as well as some more orange tools in my shop. I find them to be of good quality.

Tracy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors