Walnut edge on oak plywood

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianBDH

New User
Brian
I am building a new top to an exising podium which is made from red oak 1 X 2 frame and oak plywood panels.

The actual top will be oak ply with a walnut band. I have some Golden Oak Danish oil that I know will make all the oak parts match the rest of the podium.

I am thinking that I don't want the golden oak stain on the walnut because I don't know what color that will turn out. Does it make sense to cut and dry fit the plywood and banding, stain the plywood and walnut separately, then assemble?

Seems that I can tape the mating surfaces to prevent getting stain on them so glue will still adhere.

Does this sound like it would work? Anybody have a better method.

Thanks for any help.

Brian

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
That's pretty common practice.

Ditto what Joe said. I just did some tool cabinets for the shop where the raised panel is different from the box itself, and used this approach. Just make sure your tape is tight. Incidentally, since you didn't mention what finish you're putting on the walnut, try a sample piece w/ just amber shellac. It really makes walnut pop. :icon_thum

Bill

BrianBDH

New User
Brian
Thanks guys. I was thinking just poly on the Walnut. I don't want a high gloss but it has to be protected. A podium will have a lot of sweaty hands on it when used.

Shellac might do that just as good, but I don't have a lot of experience with finishing, so I tend to use what I have on hand and work with it. Some day, when I have more time for projects, I want to experiment a little more with different finishes.

Brian

James Davis

New User
James Davis
Try the Golden Oak Danish Oil on the Walnut---You might like it. Try it on a piece of scrap first just to see what it will look like.

James

Jeff

New User
Jeff
You could coat with Zinsser SealCoat shellac (it's 100% dewaxed so other finishes will adhere to it) and add poly or Danish Oil on top of that to suit your preferences.

+1 on the suggestion to try a couple of combinations on some scrap stuff first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS