UPDATE on 1st POST RE: Getting together to make some handscrew clamps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Re: Is anybody interested in getting together to make some handscrew clamps?

Well you might as well twist my arm :gar-La;, I'm in as long as I'm available that weekend.

James Davis

New User
James Davis

Wide open with bells on................unless SWMBO poo poos the notion.

James

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy

That time of year my weekends are often open - I might finally make an event!

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith

WOW - what a great response! This ought to be a fun event, to say the least.

OK - I'll start gathering information on the kit options, and order some sample kits from different companies for comparison. Thus far, I've discovered that the kits are available from Shop Fox / Grizzly, and Jorgensen, and I've also discovered that a company in Iowa - Dubuque Clamp Works - manufacturers very nice clamps (they still offer the original ACME thread with some of their clamps), and apparently they are the manufacturer of many of the "store brand clamps" sold by some of the major woodworking tool suppliers.

I am in contact with both Dubuque and Jorgensen to see if they would be willing to sell us a gross of hardware. I’m also in contact with our great North Carolina Woodworker supporter Rick DeNardo at the Moulding Source and he is working to get us some good pricing on the Shop Fox kits.

Once we have a good understanding of the quality and pricing options, we can narrow down our selections and see what kind of deal we can make on volume pricing.

At the end of the day, everybody can choose which style of kit (US vs. import) that best fits their needs and budget.

When I receive the kit instructions, I'll post what size blank that they recommend for the various clamp sizes, so that everybody can check their wood inventory to see if they have any material that they want to use for their clamps, of if they want to take advantage of the hickory or anything else that we can come up with.

One thing that we each need to start thinking about is:

1 - What sizes of clamp that we want to head home with?
2 - How many of each size.

Here is some sizing information, courtesy of Jorgensen’s web site:

The first number below is the Jaw overall length
The second number is the maximum opening between Jaws
and the third number is the reach from the middle spindle to end of the jaw

4” 2” 2”
6” 3” 3”
8” 4.5” 4”
10” 6” 5”
12” 8.5” 6”
14” 10” 7”
16” 12” 8”

For a "rough pricing" perspective, use the following budgetary number for the import clamp kits:

4" kit - 2.50 each
6" kit - 2.75 each
8" kit - 3.30 each
10" kit - 3.90 each
12" kit - 4.30 each

For the US mfg kits (Jorgensen hardware), use the following budgetary numbers:

4" kit - 5.60 each
6" kit - 6.60 each
8" kit - 7.50 each
10" kit - 8.30 each
12" kit - 10.50 each
16" kit - 14.00 each

I'm pretty sure that we'll be able to source the clamp kits for less than these numbers, but for budgetary planning I always like to estimate a little high versus too low!

Think about sizes, quantity and import versus US, and in a few days I’ll post a poll and sign up sheet so that we can start compiling some numbers.

Thanks much.

Scott

meredj

Jesse
Corporate Member

Scott, count me in. What a great way to spend a weekend!!

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member

I would like to make 4 - 16 inch clamps.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member

If I can make the date, which I should, I am in and will be in for 4 each of the US sizes.

I am thinking I might get an NCWW logo'ed woodburning stamp. Might be kind of neat....

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith

If I can make the date, which I should, I am in and will be in for 4 each of the US sizes.

I am thinking I might get an North Carolina Woodworker logo'ed woodburning stamp. Might be kind of neat....

Trav: I'll forward you some info re the woodburning stamp - we're thinking along the same lines.

All: Jim (Froglips) has made a great suggestion about putting together a form to track quantities, sizes, hardware type (US versus import), etc that folks may be interested in. If you respond within the string with an estimated quantity, could you also please also use the form once it's available?

Thanks much.

Scott

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew

ROCKING IDEA SCOTT

That sounds like an awesome idea, and in Feb I should be out of the Military, so it will be a good time to have a good get together like that.

I would love to join in the Fun~! I like the prices of the overseas clamps, but I bought some from Harbour Freight and they stripped out without much pressure. So if the Shop Foxs are like that.....Ummm I want the US made, maybe 4 6" and 4 16".

Thanks Scott, YOU ROCK~!

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell

Matt, you gave me an idea (like I needed another one)....

For those of us with less than working clamps, we might be able to salvage the wood and replace the hardware.

Jim

smandal

New User
sumanta

I'm in if we are planning to meet over the weekend.

eyekode

New User
Salem

Scott, it sounds like a blast. I don't think I could steal away for a whole day but I could bring some extra eats :).

Are you thinking a Sat or Sun?

Salem

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith

Scott, it sounds like a blast. I don't think I could steal away for a whole day but I could bring some extra eats :).

Are you thinking a Sat or Sun?

Salem

Salem - we'll put together a poll to see which day would work best for everybody. More to come.

Scott

ebrant

New User
Ed

Sounds good to me too! Looking forward to the sign up list. :icon_thum

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff

I gotta come if nothing else to watch, shoot the bull and pig out.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie

Count me in, Scott! Sounds like a great opportunity to see the new shop, fellowship, and eat! Clamps are secondary to me!! LOL! BUT I'd be glad to assist in making some for you.
:wsmile:

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew

Matt, you gave me an idea (like I needed another one)....

For those of us with less than working clamps, we might be able to salvage the wood and replace the hardware.

Jim

Hey Jim,

I was thinking the same thing, just after I posted my last. Great minds think alike.

Also can one take two or three pieces of wood glued together for the clamps? Just thinking of ways to use my scrap wood and to have some cool loking multi colored clamps???

One other question for all? What type of savings do you think we will get compared to the Big Stores/Amazon?

Thanks again~! Oh and of course I am in if it's a weekend. :icon_cheers :eusa_clap :icon_thum

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell

I'll take that as a compliment :)

A glue up might work great. I'd consider a glue with elasticity, such as hide glue.

I'd think the wood layers/glue joints best be perpendicular to the face of the jaws (I know what I mean, can't find the words). I imagine it sort of like pages in a book. If you press two books together cover to cover, they are going to flex, where as edge to edge you'd get more "holdyness".

If Scott has no objections, we can spin off a new (but related) sub-thread related to reuse/glueup wooden jaws. We reusers would have more upfront work to do, which might bore the new-wood folks.

Jim

Hey Jim,

I was thinking the same thing, just after I posted my last. Great minds think alike.

Also can one take two or three pieces of wood glued together for the clamps? Just thinking of ways to use my scrap wood and to have some cool loking multi colored clamps???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors