John
Corporate Member
And now I think I am hooked.

Turned_Pens.jpg
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/500/Turned_Pens.jpg

Pens are Brazilian Cherry / Cherry Burl
Spalted Maple (I think)
Cocobolo

Update: Daughter took some better photos, scroll down a bit.

Can anyone suggest a good supplier for pen kits and supplies?

Thanks

John

More photos:
Cigar_Pen_Cherry_Burl.jpg

European_Spalted_Maple.jpg

European_Cocobolo.jpg

Last edited:

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
And now I think I am hooked.

www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/500/Turned_Pens.jpg

Pens are Brazilian Cherry / Cherry Burl
Spalted Maple (I think)
Cocobolo

I hope to get better photos posted in a day or so.

Can anyone suggest a good supplier for pen kits and supplies?

Thanks

John

Great looking pens. I would visit Penn State
http://www.pennstateind.com/?gclid=CKj3_7b3rJQCFQVfFQodwF17tA

I have spent a lot of time on their site and many members here praise their kits.

gesiak

John
Corporate Member
Thanks for the feedback. I took a class at Woodcraft. Still have to buy the mandrel, bushings and kits. I will probably do that this week.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Three nice examples of your burgeoning skill.

Ever notice that you don't see a pen kit with an erase on the cap? :slap:

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
John,

Good for you buddy! I saw some pens on the shop crawl this weekend that pretty much pushed me over the edge into the darkside. Haven't had the opportunity to try it yet, but am really looking forward to it. :yes:

Cheers, :eek:ccasion1

Trent

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
I have been working on getting the CA/BLO finish down and think I almost have it. I am still experimenting but I finished a nice one this weekend for the wife. The finish on my first oh 10 pretty much were horrible. Again Nice job.

gesiak

John
Corporate Member
I have been working on getting the CA/BLO finish down and think I almost have it. I am still experimenting but I finished a nice one this weekend for the wife. The finish on my first oh 10 pretty much were horrible. Again Nice job.

These were sanded to 8,000 with micro mesh, then two coats of Myland High Friction Polish then two coats of carnuba.

I will need to read about the CA finishing.

:gar-Bi
John

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
These were sanded to 8,000 with micro mesh, then two coats of Myland High Friction Polish then two coats of carnuba.

I will need to read about the CA finishing.

:gar-Bi
John

What I have been doing and I am noticing everyone does it a little differently is basically Sand to 400 then clean with DNA, then I use MicroMesh from 1500 to 12000, cleaning with DNA between each Grit, then put on my first coat of BLO then follow that up with two coats of medium CA, another round of light BLO and one or two coats of medium CA. If I am still not happy I will Micromesh it again from 6000 - 12000 and then put another coat. I find that I have to put a light coat of BLO about every two or three coats of CA. This last pen I did all of that then Used HUT Plastic Polish and it really turned out well.

Once you decide to do it just plan on experimenting until you get your own routine down. The bad part about the CA is that it smells pretty bad when you are putting it on and it starts to cure. Just make sure you keep the shop well ventilated. :) Oh yeah all of this is applied with a paper towel.

Hope that helps...

Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS