Trestle table legs completed

Status
Not open for further replies.

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
Here are the trestle table legs completed as they receive coats of poly. Are you supprised at the size of the table? It will be 40' long to accommodate my son's small kitchen. I think they base turned out very well. The lessons learned will help me when I set out to make a larger trestle table for myself using cherry. Lorraine

Attachments

• trestle table base.jpg
    trestle table base.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 192

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Very, very nice, Lorraine!!!!!!!!:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

Will the top be about the same thickness as the trestle material?

Sure looks very classy with that poly finish.

Well done, indeed!

Wayne

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Lorraine that looks awesome. Beautiful finish on that BEAUTIFUL Walnut. Are you planning on trimming the thru tenons down a little, they look like shin busters on such a short table???
I can't wait to see the top, will it be Walnut also? That really is some beautiful stock you've got :icon_thum
Dave:)

sapwood

New User
Roger
Nice Lorraine! Substance, style, and a nice finish :eusa_clap
I also agree with DaveO that the tenon stub seems out of proportion.

Roger

mtrager

New User
Mitch
Lorraine:

Those are really nice. I especially like the leg bases with the curves.

Waiting to see the top.

Mitch

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
Ok guys, here is the low down. The legs were made from 6/4, I believe I am right. The entire table is to be 1 3/8th inch thickness throughout. I was able to pull from my wood supply and get the feet. The other three pieces including the rail were glued to get the 1 3/8 size. I am going to make the top as thick as I possibly can without having to glue for thickness. If I had purchased my lumber from a supply house I would have had less glue ups and everything would be 1 3/8 including the top. We will see what the top ends up being. What you can't see is the 1" dowel that holds the project together along with glue. I didn't attempt the mortise in the ends of the rail because the 5 degree was troubling to me. I will have to attempt it when it comes to the large cherry table that I will be making for myself. The base for this table is 30" length with a 40" top to be added. If you think the ends of the rails need to be trimmed I will certainly do so. I kept the measurements the same for the base, except the length of the rail, as it would be for the large table Norm was doing in his book. That table is 80 plus inches. I put dowels in this instead of the wedge, glued the rail and the dowels. This table is for a small kitchen and shouldn't be taken down for any reason. Thank you for the compliments. Thoughts and suggestions welcomed. BTW, what would you suggest I put on the top knowing it is going to get losts of kitchen use. I considered a finish for bar tops. Lorraine

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Lorraine, wonderful job. You haev made progress since I last saw it. I might be up your way next weekend. Might stop in for a first hand look.

Scott

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Lorraine, I was having dinner at Cracker Barrel tonight and noticed that they have tables with almost the same design as your trestle base, and about the same size too.
I would consider using this as you topcoat finish -
web751big.jpg

Linky: http://www.woodcraft.com/Family.aspx?FamilyID=751

It sounds like exactly what you're looking for...for a table :-D:-D

Dave:)

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
Your correct Dave, that is just what I need. Now if I can get someone to bring me a pint that would be real nice. Scott I would love to have you stop in and get a first hand look. Lorraine

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Your correct Dave, that is just what I need. Now if I can get someone to bring me a pint that would be real nice. Scott I would love to have you stop in and get a first hand look. Lorraine

Lorraine the Klingspor Woodworker's Shop in Raleigh (Capital Blvd) also carries that varnish. Need me to try and get some?

Scott

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
Scott, would you please. That would save me gas and a trip. I should have the top ready by the time you get this way. A pint would be enough. Lorraine

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
No problem. I'll call them tomorrow and have them put a can aside.

Scott

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I am very surprised at the size of the trestle. I figured it would be 6 or 8 ft long. It looks like it turned out quite well. I look forward to seeing the top on it.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Well, the joints look good and the wood is just beautiful. :icon_thum

Post pics once you get the top done. :)

Chuck

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
Great job Lorraine.
I am about to tackle a dinning room table out of walnut using the trestle design.
I don't have any plans yet so your pictures help. I do like the figures of your base.
NcPete and I planed down my top this afternoon. Hopefully I will have bookmatched pieces each measuring 19 7/8" wide. I guess that should work out.
i would like to pic your brain a bit on your construction of the trestle if that is ok.
Great work.

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
John, feel free to pick my brain anytime. Maybe between the two of us my cherry trestle table will be even better than this one. This was a learn as you go. My model by the way was a book of Norm Abram's. I am honored that you wish to pick my brain. thank you. Lorraine

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
I have shown my wife your post and she likes the style.
I have the top laid out in the shop so now I need to look a the construction of the trestle.
Your trestle if you don't mind. You have a very nice project there.
You say that it is one of Norm's books that has this in it.
Which one would that be?

Thanks for your help now and in the future.
I will have my pics up during the construction process.
You know it's always hard to do that sometimes, to stop and remember to take those photos.

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
Do you have any of Norm's books? This book is in the shop but it is the one with the small chest of drawers, maybe maple, on the front of the cover. I ordered all of his books on line a couple of years ago. If I can help you with measurements or anything just let me know. Lorraine

Grgramps

New User
Roy Hatch
Lorraine, You've already received many compliments on your fine workmanship, but I would venture that you'll get even more satisfaction in knowing that this is something that your son will enjoy owning for many years. I can just imagine the pride he will take in telling friends, "My mom made this." This will surely be one of his treasures.

Roy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS