Treadle lathe:update

Status
Not open for further replies.

CatButler

New User
Bryan
I haven't reported much progress on my treadle lathe because, well, I haven't made much progress. My wife and I agreed to cut expenses until we sold our old house. Two things have happened to start progress. We have a contract on the house and I have been given the starts of a treadle lathe.

We have seen this lathe before, the legend starts with Mike Davis passing off a half finished treadle lathe that was given to him to Carved Tones (Andy). Andy took it and ran with it for a while solving a few problems with the original, but it didn't really fit his needs, so he asked me if I would like it. It wasn't quite the design I was looking at, but it was a good start and I decided I could make it work for what I was trying to do. The wood is a bit rough and joints are a bit loose. I can see why Andy thought it wouldn't work for him. He has to be able to break it down and travel with it and the joints are a bit imprecise to say the least. It would probably take a while to adjust everything after every move.

For me though, it will stay in one place, so I am tempted to just make the joints permanent so they won't move much. For starters I ran a jack and smoother across some of the boards I am likely to be handling and a slight round over on some edges so I [STRIKE]won't[/STRIKE] will get less splinters.

The joints look like they were cut with a clumsy random tool like a [STRIKE]blaster[/STRIKE] circular saw. I will try to clean them up with a more elegant tool for a more civilized age, a carcass saw.

I with the house closing less than a month away, I have a bit of short term credit budget to spend on parts. I think I have found a spindle I like at Grizzly. I'll probably pick up a quill and live center for the tail stock from the same lathe. Once I have that I can figure out the space I need for the fly wheel. Hope to have pictures one I get some meaningful assembly.

Shout out to Andy (CarvedTones) and Mike Davis. I'm beginning to feel like everyone who worked on this should sign it once it's finished. I hope I'm the last to work on it.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
One small correction: I didn't work on it. I was in a rush to load up and get home so I didn't look a gift horse in the mouth. Once I saw the condition of the joints I knew I didn't want to try to correct it.

If you can straighten out the mess and get the head built it should be a pretty good lathe for the price, if you don't count your labor...

Looking forward to see how much you can do with it. Oh, the other problem for me was the height, it seemed to be rather low for a man over 6 foot tall.

CatButler

New User
Bryan
I stand corrected. Let the record state that Mike had nothing to do how these boards are joined together. In support of Andy, he made sure I understood that you were not responsible for any of the ugly joints.

It's very prone to moving. I'm definitely going to need to make it more stable.

I didn't notice the height. It may not be as bad for me. I'm about 5'10" on a good day. It would at least be easier to make it taller than shorter.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I hope it works out for you. Constructing it in such a way that it doesn't disassemble easily will definitely make it more solid. I am looking forward to seeing some progress posted. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS