Tool You Bought With Good Intentions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
There is a thread on here about your worst tool buying regret. Most replies about poor quality tools.

In a different vein, what high quality (high-priced) tool have members bought, and were never able to use to its full potential? Chisels, turning tools, dovetail jigs, and so forth.

Mine would be a Wagner power painter, I guess. It worked well enough, but I never did see myself painting things so quick that I could paint everything in a week. Cleanup on paint brushes were lickety-split quick, not so much with the power painter. So I returned to my Neanderthal painting roots.

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
I've got a Prazi Dovetailing thingamajig and a HF HVLP sprayer that have been in the box on the shelf since I brought them home close to 3 yrs ago. I still think the prazi will be good for dovetailing a large blanket chest, not sure about the sprayer.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Kind of difficult for me to say since I never get into the shop enough. Much like Mark, I did buy a dovetail jig and never got past glancing at the instructions manual. On other fronts, someone gave me a right angle impact driver... that I'm sure I'll use... someday...

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Somewhere in my shop, beneath layers of dust, is a Delta mortise attachment for a drill press. Tried to fit it once, got frustrated, bought the dedicated mortiser instead. :icon_thum

Bill

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
I can honestly say that I have used every tool I've bought to the fullest extent, except two. The only two tools I've bought and haven't been able to use are two hand planes. A Stanley block plane and what ever the brand of jack plane they sell at HD. I don't know the first thing about planes though. I'm not good at sharpening and I don't really know how to set them up. :icon_scra Probably would've figured all of that out if they were an immediate need, but I do look forward to using them someday. :rolleyes:

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
For me it would have to be a Milescraft Signmaking Jig. It's still new..never had it out of the box. I would however trade it for Chuck's Jet 1442! Jim :wink_smil

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
For me it would have to be a Milescraft Signmaking Jig. It's still new..never had it out of the box. I would however trade it for Chuck's Jet 1442! Jim :wink_smil

HMMM! How bout a new Delta Mortising Attachment? :rotflm:

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
i bought a gizmo 32 for drilling shelf pin holes. i don't think it's ever drilled a hole.

also have a complete mat cutting system for framed art i've never taken out of the box

Len

New User
Len
Quick-release vice for the workbench I'm going to build whenever I can get myself to stop "making do" with my B&D Work-Mate.

kirkpj01

New User
Kip
I have that same Jet 1442 lathe. I have turned some stuff (bowls, knobs, etc.....) but I can't say that it is my favorite tool in the shop.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Two come to mind for me. A laminate trimming router, new in the box, and an angle head grinder, also new in the box. Both still sitting there taunting me. I intended to use both for a particular project when I 'just had to have them' (in my own feeble mind). And of course the need never came to fruition. guess both in their own way were going to radically change things in the shop. They did. I've now dedicated a shelf to things I don't use .... but one day, right?? :dontknow:

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
In a different vein, what high quality (high-priced) tool have members bought, and were never able to use to its full potential?

The emphasis is mine. Taking that phrase into account, I have to say my carving tools which include Sorby, Pfiel and FlexCut gouges because they have the potential to produce great works of art. I am a fair to middlin' carver and I enjoy it, but I am better at scrolling and turning than I am at carving despite investing more money and time in carving.

Ken Hensley

New User
Ken
For me it is definetly the Delta table saw I picked up a few years ago 5hp, 230/460v, 3 phase motor and still have not gotten a phase converter to be able to run it. I just keep using the old craftman tablesaw that was left to me by my Grandfather (20 years ago) and not very accurate. Maybe one day I will get that converter.:gar-La;

Ken:dontknow:

eyekode

New User
Salem
Darn, I have a couple of these and I know I will catch some flack for them :).

Years ago I bought a Makita sliding compound miter saw. I do use it occasionally. But I don't do much with dimensional lumber and I prefer the TS for accurate crosscuts. I would have been fine with a non-sliding 12" and it would take less space (depth).

And now for a stealth gloat-ish-thingy. I picked up an LN 7 and Bronze 4 from CL this week. I work in my no-AC garage and I cannot bear to even leave them there for fear of rust. I know bronze doesn't rust and none of my other tools are accumulating rust so I realize this doesn't make any sense. But there are litterally no scratches on them and they are works of art. This is the worst kind of tool addiction. But I am really into handmade tools now and have been steadily creating new ones. My current tool project is to make a Krenov style smoother. If that works out I will make a jointer. If that works out I will sell the LN planes :).

bwat

New User
Bill
I bought a pantograph because it looked like a cool idea and was on sale (can you say "sucker"). Still in the box collecting dust.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors