Thick AD Walnut

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
I picked up some AD walnut that has been drying for a very long time.

Thickness varied from 2 1/4 to 3 1/4 inch, widths from 5 to 11 inches.

Here it is on my 12' Trailer, about 16 sticks...

IMG_15861.JPG

I lightly planed to color grain match. Here's a few pics.

IMG_15921.JPG

IMG_1593.JPG

The camera doesn't capture the purples, reds and curl in this walnut. $2/bd ft...how'd I do?

Chuck

Sealeveler

Tony
Corporate Member
You done good.To bad it's so far away.I just got some walnut from some great friends but in smaller sizes so I could handle it on my couch.Tony

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
You stole it!

I really like that one quarter sawn piece. I bet it glows like a light bulb when you get some oil in it.

dpanda

New User
Dan
Hey Chuck,
Good buy! Air dried walnut can be quite beautiful! I have some that's been drying for about 7yrs now. I better start thinking what to make with mine!
Any plans for yours?
Dan

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Added thought...

I went to Klingspor's Raleigh, WC Raleigh and phoned Wall Lumber and the Hardwood Store trying to find even a decent deal on 8/4 kd walnut. I also checked with East Wake (they didn't have any in stock).

ONLY WC had 8/4 KD walnut that was NOT steamed. and it was over $11/bd ft for 8/4...S2S. Steamed walnut seems to be the thing now. Color is pitiful and grain is clouded but I guess it is cheaper to produce. :dontknow: Steamed walnut does NOT look as good as AD or KD non-steamed stock.

Chuck

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff

That board right there is nice - sawn from near the center of the log. It was sawn from a larger log with a slight bow. it's wide and I only see a little bit of pith. That's a primo board :thumbs_up I prefer straight grain over cathedral grain any day.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Hey Chuck,
Good buy! Air dried walnut can be quite beautiful! I have some that's been drying for about 7yrs now. I better start thinking what to make with mine!
Any plans for yours?
Dan

I'm going to make a DR table similar to the one at this link... http://web.mac.com/jackberberich/home/walnut_cross_arch.html I don't know the WWer but I like the looks of that table. I will change the eccentricity on the top a little bit. I'm planning on 4/4 stock for the top but not sure how it will look. I have some 4/4 that is very impressive looking. May run it through Sketchup to take a peek at the dimensions.

Haven't decided on chair design yet. LOML likes the chair style in this set but wants the walnut cross arch table. I just do as I'm told. :gar-Bi

walnut_mitchell_table.jpg

Chuck

dpanda

New User
Dan
Wow that cross arch table has some curves! Those chairs look nice but by comparison they look like the tables younger sister!:wsmile: Maybe use the chairs basic design but with add a few curves!

I do like the picture of the craftmanish trestle table and chairs. For me, that is more my style. But my wife would want it more country! Trestle table Windsor style chairs?
A modern Windsor or Maloof style chair probably would look good!
Dan

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
"Steamed walnut seems to be the thing now. Color is pitiful and grain is clouded but I guess it is cheaper to produce. Steamed walnut does NOT look as good as AD or KD non-steamed stock."

Steamed is the standard in commercial outfits..they say it gives consistent color.. I say it looks like mud and hides sap rings until you plane it.

My clients require AD and finished KD. This gives a more vibrant color and consistency and is appropriate for repair and or restoration work.

Good clear wide walnut goes for uber bux..

jimwill48

James
Some real nice walnut there. Shame for those real thick pieces not to find there way into turning blanks:widea:. Once you go round, its hard to thick flat :gar-La;

James

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS