The influence of the Dark Side.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
It forced me to turn this 12/4 hunk of air dried Walnut into something with a bowl like shape -

Copy_of_Malibu_and_the_Dark_Side_007.jpg

Copy_of_Malibu_and_the_Dark_Side_014.jpg

I was really happy with it until I realized that my macro level pics showed off all the torn end grain, and the wax I applied just enhanced that.
But none the less it is the biggest bowl (diameter wise)I have turned on the HF lathe that could. About 10½" diameter, 4" tall and the walls are ¼' thick. It's a gift to a friend that gave me the wood several years ago. I think it will make a nice fruit bowl, as long as he doesn't have a thing for Grapefruits or larger Melons :roll:

Thanks for lookin' and any advice on the end grain tear out (prevention-wise) would be highly appreciated.

Dave:)

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Nice looking bowl, Dave. Being a beginner I can't offer any advice on the end grain. We are our own worst critics...just stop telling everyone and no one will notice!!

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
DaveO, like Randy said we are our own worst critic. I think it looks great and your friend will be very happy to receive such a wonderful gift.

J

jeff...

Dave you need to stop it - man is that pretty - your end grain tear out second picture far side looks a bit like Mrs Buttersworth.

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Nice looking bowl DaveO! :icon_thum Walnut is a pain when it comes to end grain. I try to get it with a very sharp gouge or scraper. If all else fails... I use the 60 grit gouge :wink_smil. The Milwaukee power sander has changed my life :gar-Bi.

nelsone

New User
Ed
Great looking bowl Dave! You are a much better turner than I, so I can't help with the tear out question.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Dave, you had to put the plug in there about the HF lathe:swoon:
A clever ploy to lure me even deeper.:gar-La;

Great looking bowl, Who cares about end grain tear out when something comes out looking that nice. You did a great job.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Dave you need to stop it - man is that pretty - your end grain tear out second picture far side looks a bit like Mrs Buttersworth.

Jeff... that's not the problem area, it is to the sides of it. The Mrs. Butterworth that you are seeing is the results of the face/long grain of the bowl.
BTW, that is very cool, I didn't see it that way. But it sure does look like Mrs. Butterworth :icon_thum:icon_thum
Thanks for pointing that out :eusa_clap

Steve Martin

New User
Steve Martin
Sometimes with black walnut, I've had success with tearout by scraping from the center of the bowl out to the edge, using a verrry sharp round nosed scraper (slight burr for an edge) and taking a skew cut, somewhere between 25 and 45 degrees off of horizontal, taking very fine shavings, almost dust. The decision about the exact angle depends on the results of an initial cut. I usually start about 45 degrees and move down toward 25 degrees if it is too aggressive and not eliminating the tearout. The angle may also change as you get closer to the edge of the bowl because the end grain is different. I have also tried using the round end of a cabinet scraper but don't rest it on the tool rest, just free hand it at an angle at the slowest speed or if you have variable speed try about 300 rpms and then adjust until it works. I have taken some used sawzall blades and made a variety of curved shapes which I use as scrapers, depending on the curve inside the bowl. Fellow turners I have shown this to, say they prefer sanding but I like the finish from the scrapers better than sanding, especially on black walnut. Be patient, it will work.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Thanks Steve, I did use my big monster scraper, but I wasn't approaching it at the angle that you mentioned. I was more like 90° or a little less. I will have to try a shallower approach.

cskipper

Cathy
Dave, that's a beautiful bowl, tearout or not. Question - when did the slippery slope become the darkside?

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Where are you hiding all of that beautiful Walnut Dave ? Seriously, I really like the shape on that bowl and the grain just pops. Once again, nice job Bro'.

Jimmy:mrgreen:

PChristy

New User
Phillip
DaveO, nice job :icon_thum the more I see all of these turnings the more the force is pulling on me:swoon:

Phillp

Glennbear

Glenn
Excellent work Dave, I agree with others, we are our own worst critics. Did you use any other finish besides wax ?:wsmile:

Robert Arrowood

New User
Robert Arrowood
Dave thats a beautiful bowl! If you luck is like mine you better leave it alone:rotflm:. Man I can't wait until I get my lathe:eusa_clap.I know it will be some time before I can turn like that. But at least I can start learning.

Rob

New User
Rob
Dave, do you put the finish on while it's spinning in the lathe? Or put it on then use the lathe to spin buff it out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS