The Dark Side Weakens

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRD

New User
Jim
A Hard Wood to Work

About a month ago I stumbled onto some very deeply discounted, solid wood flooring. Cumaru (Brazilian Teak). Being a dedicated turner, I almost passed it up, but what the heck, solid wood, not a laminate, there had to be something I could do with it, right?

P10100284.JPG

Now I deeply fear the dark side is slowly leaving me. Who could have guessed this straight lengths of wood thing could be so much fun?

P10100246.JPG

The box is the Cumaru, with a Big Leaf Maple burl inset into the top. The Cumaru is very tough to work with. An internet search reveals it the second hardest wood known. It's very heavy, and very dense, but is supposed to last just about forever.

P10100274.JPG

I guess I just figured out my Dad's Christmas present this year.

M

McRabbet

Very nice work, jim. Your Dad will be pleased, I'm sure! I like the brass corner protectors in lieu of feet and that burl on top is to die for...excellent!!

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Dude, that's GREAT! Nice work, I know your dad will LOVE it.

See, the flat side isn't so bad now is it?

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Jim, old son, I think you've found your TRUE calling!! :icon_thum:icon_thum
Throw a tarp over that lathe, place an ad somewhere, and let your "light side" prevail. :gar-La;

Work like that needs repeating!!

:wsmile:

T

toolferone

So much for needing my advise :gar-La;! I'm glad it worked, but please fill me in on how it worked out. It looks great!!

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Man, that sure is pretty. And as Jackleg recommended, throw a tarp over the lathe to protect it from the flat side influence:rotflm:.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
Just use that magnificent box to put your pens into!:gar-La;
How'd ya find working the Cumaru to be? Did it dull up blades & sandpaper pretty quick?

cskipper

Cathy
Occasional "trips" into the "other" side are good reminders that there are other things out there.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
That is a NICE looking box! I love the burl top. Excellent work. See? This square wood thing aint so bad after all. :rotflm:

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Your foray into the flat lands seems perfectly logical to me. After all, no need to box yourself in, huh? :rotflm: :rotflm:

Nice box, BTW. :icon_thum

Chuck

J

jeff...

Could this be the beginning? The beginning of light that brings an end to darkness? A small shimmer of hope? a shred of joy? a ray of happiness? Yes I believe it is. it is the beginning of a new day, resistance is futile... light shall always over power dark, always.

BTW nice box :thumbs_up

Threejs

New User
David
What are you talking about? 3/8" and 1/2" flooring is a great source for small items like crochet hooks, hair pins, and the like.

:)

Course your OCD has to be high enough for you to want to turn a 6-7" spindle down to less than 1/4" to 3/32". If you don't have a spindle support, it gets hairy.

DavidF

New User
David
Great looking box! is the inside rebate / tongue formed by a separate inner wall or did you mill it in the solid?

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
More proof that a balance between the dark side and the light side creates the ultimate WW'r. GREAT JOB!!!!

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Nice flat work! Such is one's lot in life: that which was flat, and becomes round, will become flat again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS