Thanks Bob (was: Help I am skew'd!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

eyekode

New User
Salem
I recently started turning but I have cleared the event horizon and there is no escaping the vortex now :).

I don't have a chuck yet so I have been practicing turning spindles. The gouges seem simple enough in use once I got them sharpened. The skew however is a different beast. Planing cuts are pretty easy after rounding over the edges of the skew to help it glide over the tool rest. But I am struggling with making V cuts and using the skew to true up a flat end. On both of these operations I typically get catches.

Would a local turner be willing to show me the ropes with a skew? I can trade unskilled labor, beer or most anything to do with a computer :).

Salem

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Re: Help I am skew'd!!!

The skew is not my fav, but I'd be happy to show you how I use it. I'm a bit of a hike from you, but if you're up for the drive give me a holler. I'm in the shop spinning wood most weekends.

aplpickr

New User
Bill

I suggest that you join a turning club. Most of them have mentoring programs. There are turning clubs in the following areas: Hayesville, Asheville, Charlotte, Kinston, Hickory, Greensboro, Carthage, Concord, Waxhaw, Cashiers, Wilmington, and Raleigh. Surely one of these will match your location and schedule. Go to this link for more info.

http://www.woodturner.org/community/chapters/LocalChapters.asp

You are DOOMED. The vortex just keeps sucking. :gar-La;

Bill

eyekode

New User
Salem

Thanks Bill, I have heard this is a good route. But when I went to the web page for the Raleigh AAW it seemed a little dead. I guess NCWW is more within my comfort zone :).

NCTurner

New User
Gary

Thanks Bill, I have heard this is a good route. But when I went to the web page for the Raleigh AAW it seemed a little dead. I guess North Carolina Woodworker is more within my comfort zone :).

Site is pretty dead, but club is alive and well.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy

Salem,

The way I learned the skew (though I still am no master) was turning mushrooms or small trees (like for a train set) out of green branches of around 2" -3" diameter between centers. When you get a catch, it will just stop the piece. After a couple of catches, it forces you to be precise; if you present the edge well it will still cut fine but after it has made a mess of your X at the spur drive end it will stop if you are forcing it.

eyekode

New User
Salem

Bob thanks for your time today!

Bob (woodArtz) was gracious enough to let me come by and pick his brain. He showed me how he sharpens his gouges and also turned a nice walnut bowl while I was there. He even let me try my hand at it! In the end he sent me home with thoughts of bowl gouges dancing through my head and the start of my own first bowl :).

Thanks again Bob I had a good time!

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Bob is one heck of a great guy. :thumbs_up:thumbs_up I'm glad you all had a fun time. Happy turning! :icon_thum

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
I imagine Bob shared a lot with you. Nothing I've found can beat a little one on one turning time.
Like any tool the skew has its place. I can't say I've mastered any tool, but I don't fear the "evil tool" as loml calls it. Richard Raffan and others have some great dvds on turning including skew use.
Practice practice practice. I've made pieces using nothing but the skew and often use only the skew on pens.
Sharp tool, light touch (a mantra of turning for sure).

woodturnerdon

New User
Don
Hi Eykode!

I live in Oxford and would be happy to spend some time with you in my shop. Plenty of projects to play around with and I'm in there every day. Had a lawyer here yesterday and helped him make a walnut bowl for his father. A buddy of mine said I should have charged him 250.00 an hour! lol.
No charge, just fun.
Don L.

woodArtz

New User
Bob

It was great to have you in the shop Salem. You picked up the bowl gouge very quick. I'm glad you got something out of it. I can't wait to see that walnut bowl in it's finished form. Come over anytime. :icon_thum

Bob thanks for your time today!

Bob (woodArtz) was gracious enough to let me come by and pick his brain. He showed me how he sharpens his gouges and also turned a nice walnut bowl while I was there. He even let me try my hand at it! In the end he sent me home with thoughts of bowl gouges dancing through my head and the start of my own first bowl :).

Thanks again Bob I had a good time!

eyekode

New User
Salem
Don,
I really appreciate the offer. I think I learned a lot watching Bob turn and talking to him. He could tell me what I was doing wrong immediately instead of letting the catches teach me slowly :). I also really like seeing other peoples shop. So if I am ever heading your way I will drop you a note!
Thanks again!
Salem

eyekode

New User
Salem

Bob, I will be sure to post pictures when I get the bowl done. Just have to wait for UPS to deliver a bowl gouge :). I am thinking a Thompson Tools 1/2" V-shaped bowl gouge?

Thanks again!
Salem

Joe Bradshaw

New User
Joe
Eyekode, I am just up the road from you in Cary. I can try to help you with the skew, or at least we can get catches together. Send me an e-mail.

NCTurner

New User
Gary
Salem, I have been out to Joe's shop, NICE place. Joe is a super friendly guy and a wecolme addittion to NCWW. If you want some company let me know and we'll see if we can work out a time.

P.S. You'll leave with lathe envy!!:gar-Bi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS