Tabletop Endgrain Butcher Block Specs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ward Green

Ward
Senior User
I have been considering a butcher block as my next project. I would love to create a butcher block island, but I think that project is a little on the advanced side for my experience. So I am opting to test my skills on a table top block as a possible gift. I have a few questions I am hoping someone can help answer.

What size is too big for a table top butcher block? For clarity, let suppose the kitchen size is maybe 10 ft X 15 ft.

I like the idea of hefty blocks - like 2 plus inches. For a butcher block 18in X 18in X 2in, what is the kind of weight I can expect to be moving around the kitchen? What is the idea size for a table top butcher block? And about how much money can I expect to spend on the various options of hardwood for such a project?

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I don't like the idea of "best this" or "ideal size" for this or that because circumstances, form, and function are different for each of us. How does a 10' x 15' kitchen figure into your planning ideas for a butcher block cutting board? :dontknow:

Here's some information from your 18" x 18" x 2" about potential weight and pricing. Maybe about $30-40 tops for wood materials only (buy more for potential expansion or mis-cuts).

18" x 18" x 2" = 648 cubic inches = 0.375 cubic feet.

lbs/cu ft
Hard maple 44
Soft maple 38
White oak 47
Black walnut 38

Prices. There's also a board footage (bf) calculator. Your dimensions = 4.50 bf.

https://hardwoodstore.com/lumber-prices

I sent this video to you earlier but here it is again in case you missed it.

http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/videos/how-to-make-a-butcher-block-cutting-board/

Ward Green

Ward
Senior User
I don't like the idea of "best this" or "ideal size" for this or that because circumstances, form, and function are different for each of us. How does a 10' x 15' kitchen figure into your planning ideas for a butcher block cutting board? :dontknow:

Hey Jeff, Thanks for the response. Just for the reason you mentioned, there are a lot of variables at play and I wanted to make it more specific: I do not want to make a cutting board too big. You have limited counter top space in smaller kitchens.

I sent this video to you earlier but here it is again in case you missed it.

http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/vide...cutting-board/

I do remember the link you sent me. And I have watched so many videos on butchers blocks. I think you provided me the missing information I did not have on building an end grain butchers block.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have made several of the Woodwhisperer versions of this cutting block both for my wife and for relatives. They have been very well received and are a very good starter project for creating an end-grain cutting board and for learning the basics. He provides very detailed video instructions and there are even kits that you can buy from Bell Forest Products if you like.

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Ward, I have a 20 wide x 15 deep x 1-3/4 thick teak edge grain cutting board. It has been a good CB for about 10 years now.

Use cardboard cut to different widths and depths to see what looks and feels like the best size before you go chopping and cutting the wood. That's what I did and, of course, the wife liked the size stated so that is what she got.

Ward Green

Ward
Senior User
Does anyone have a opinion on which woods look best together to create the checkerboard pattern for a butcher block?

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Does anyone have a opinion on which woods look best together to create the checkerboard pattern for a butcher block?

I've made a few boards using Maple and Cherry with a Walnut border.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

This one is Maple and Cherry with a Cherry border.
attachment.php

Attachments

• cutting boards 003.JPG
    cutting boards 003.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 237
  • cutting boards 001.JPG
    cutting boards 001.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 251
  • Cutting boards 006.JPG
    Cutting boards 006.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 241
  • Cutting boards 008.JPG
    Cutting boards 008.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 259

dupont6480

New User
Tim
Ward,
Really depends on customer. I made a Purple Heart and Maple and have had several people request the same. . .
Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS