Fred
Corporate Member
thanks touchwood! this came from your yard.....:gar-La;

IMG_2310.JPG

IMG_23071.JPG

jeb1959

New User
Jim
Beautiful bowl Fred. I'm relatively new to woodturning and hope to be able to do as well someday (if I can ever devote enough time). How did you finish it?

Jim

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Nice looking bowl, Fred:icon_thum. I'm glad to see another good use for what I would call a "useless" tree.

Between you and Robert (Sawduster) maybe you'll change my mind about sweetgums :slap:.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
too many coats of poly.:embaresse it has some tear out inside and out but all in all it doesn't look too bad.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Very pretty wood in that one. Was that gum down a while?

I got it a few months ago and it sat on the ground since then. might have started to spalt soon. got several more half logs out there. think I'll give em a while longer.:gar-Bi

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Looking pretty there Fred. Not bad for what most consider firewood.

I've used woodstoves for primary heat for many years. [not lately] I found sweet gum doesn't even make good fire wood!:rotflm: burns too fast and leaves buckets of ash. sure does make good turning stock though.:gar-Bi

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
Bout time you got round to turning that stuff!! Looks good. I had some tear out issues with that wood too. I lost two pieces during drying cracked like a dry saltine.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Bout time you got round to turning that stuff!! Looks good. I had some tear out issues with that wood too. I lost two pieces during drying cracked like a dry saltine.

:rotflm:that was only the first one! I got 10-15 more chunks of that stuff. gotta love this weather! shop time......:gar-Bi when ya gonna bite off some of that pecan?:gar-La;

Truefire

New User
Chris
Wow, what a beauty. I must say that is the first sweet gum bowl that i have seen and boy does it look good. It really does.

Amazing!!!!!!!

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Between you and Robert (Sawduster) maybe you'll change my mind about sweetgums :slap:.

I was thinking the same thing. That's one thing I'm not gonna miss about the place we're living in now. We have a sweetgum tree right over our back porch and over our parking spaces. Long story short, I HATE sweetgum trees. :gar-La;

Beautiful work Fred. :icon_thum

Truefire

New User
Chris
Well the fact that we all hate these trees ought to give us more motivation to cut down all we see to rid our lots of those aggravating balls and to fill our cupboards with these beautiful bowls. :gar-La;:gar-La;

As far as having one around my back porch and near by parking area it would have to be gone if i had to cut it down with a handsaw. :rotflm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS