Some little turnings.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Mike

New User
Mike
I had some time to kill so I decided to get some of my rountuits done....:lol:

I had been meaning to turn a ring holder for SWMBO so she wouldn't have to leave her rings on the windowsill while she was working at the sink. Here is one made from some Santos rosewood 1 7/8" in diameter and 2 5/8" tall.

She also has been asking for me to make her a little needlecase so she can carry her needlepoint needles safely without losing them. So here is a little case in walnut 3/4" in diameter and 2 1/2" long.

And lastly, I had some holly branchwood sitting in the shop doing nothing but collecting dust. I decided that a piece of it should become something of absolutely no value except to collect dust- a mushroom.:lol: It is about 3" in diameter and height.

Attachments

• Ringholder1-3 (500 x 500).jpg
    Ringholder1-3 (500 x 500).jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 136
  • Needle1composite1 (306 x 500).jpg
    Needle1composite1 (306 x 500).jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 135
  • Mush1-3 (500 x 500).jpg
    Mush1-3 (500 x 500).jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 133
J

jeff...

I'm digging that mushroom, way cool - let me know if you want to part with it. I've kinda developed a "thing" for mushrooms.

Thanks

Big Mike

New User
Mike
Jeff, I will try to turn a mushroom for you. SWMBO confiscated this one for her desk at her office.....Send me a PM with your address and maybe Santa will come a little early.....;-)

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Big Mike, incredible as usual, but on a slightly smaller scale :-D :-D How did you do the needle box? Did you hollow it on the lathe, and could a newbie like me possibly drill out the inside and then turn the outside. My wife does needlepoint also, and would like something like that. Very nice work, you never cease to impress and inspire.
Dave:)

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Big Mike!!!

I really really like that Rosewood ring holder!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap That wood is truly awesome! Functional as well as very, very nice to look at and admire!!!!

Great work!

Wayne

Big Mike

New User
Mike
Thanks guys. I appreciate the feedback.

Dave, that is exactly how I do these little needle boxes. I used a 9/16" brad point for the lid. Then I drilled a 7/16" hole in the body of the box. While it was still chucked I carefully turned a tenon/spigot, about 1/2" that would fit inside the lid. You have to do this carefully as once it is too small there is no going back. You can see you only have a 1/16" to play around with. Once you have a snug fit then you can put the two pieces together and shape them as one piece. Once you have shaped the top of the box you can reverse the bottom and wrap it in tape and hold it in your chuck and finish turn the bottom. It's magic.....................

Not really. Just don't start with a real soft wood. Use something like cherry or maple and you will have better results. By the way sanding inside the lid and the body of the box is a trip. I split a dowel and insert some sandpaper in the split and at least try to get it relatively smooth.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Very nice, but I especially like the mushroom for some reason. That is a dust collector I would definitely have!

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
AWESOME Big Mike :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy . What finish did you use on the rosewood?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS