Sold the bed today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Thanks for your earlier responses. :icon_thum

Today, for the first time, I sold something to someone else that I made for myself. It was an original design and build and used for almost 3 years before I sold it. I'm talking of course, about my jatoba platform bed frame.

pics_484.jpg

We're planning on moving into a one-br apartment soon and I gave the ok to my wife to put it on CL for $500. Well, the wood alone is worth $400, so with 40 hours +/- of labor, I worked for cheap. :slap: But, we have a queen mattress now that we like better, and it was just taking up space, so we sold it.

The people that bought it were a very nice couple from Kenansville and drove over an hour, with kids in tow to get here. It ended up being a birthday present from the gentleman to his wife. She saw the ad and said, "that is my dream bed!" So the rest is history.

What really touched me was what they said while they were here. They both told me, "you have such a gift, and you should pursue that gift. This is what you were meant to do. This is a work of art and we'll take great care of it. Thank you so much." I'd have to say that was one of the nicest things anyone has ever said to me. I'm surrounded by you all, and you are all BRILLIANT. I've seen work by some of you that makes me literally stand up from the chair and just wonder in amazement and awe. I think of myself as someone who is a beginner. I have so far to go and so many things to try and accomplish. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it was just as amazing to me as it was for them. I looked at it and saw nothing but "what I would change, or design flaws." They looked at it and saw their dream bed. Pretty nuts. :swoon:

Well, I guess what I'm really saying is thank you to all of you. I've learned so much from you all and look forward to learning more. Thanks. :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Congrats on the sale, Trent!!!:eusa_danc

But!!! You have to admit that it had to tug on the old heart strings to see it go out the door, didn't it?

You really did do that pretty wood justice and I'll bet that it will in fact be well taken care of for a very long time. (You did sign and date it didn't you!)

Maybe a future commission from those folks in the future.:wink_smil

Wayne

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
good on the sale but whacha gonna do fer sleepin now? gonna camp out in the truck?:rotflm: married life not so great eh?????:rotflm: she be sellin yur favorite easy chair next!:elvis: you wont even be able to watch the super bowl then.:roll:

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Wonderful story about the dream bed. And a great ego booster to actually have someone so excited about something you made. I dream of that day. Congratulations.

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
Good on ya Trent! Now just wait for the one that sells for $5K, amazing how much we are our worst critics! I have a story similar I'll have to share one of these days....

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
Congratulations, Trent. Even though you got far less than it was worth, it sounds like the buyer is someone who really will appreciate it, and that may be worth more than any monetary reward.

Matt

Matt Schnurbusch

New User
Matt
That is a very nice bed Trent. I know you were sorry to see it go, but the new couple will care for it very well. It is amazing how hard we are on ourselves with our work. When I finish a project, all I see are the flaws.

M

McRabbet

You've learned a great lesson here, Trent -- you need to remember that people that are willing to buy good quality design and workmanship do not know how to make something like that bed, but they really appreciate your design talent and execution and are willing to pay for your product. You know loads more than they do about the process -- so in their eyes, you are the expert -- guess what, you are! They are your first customer, so salt it away and don't second guess yourself, since you now have a proven track record. I'm no expert, but I'll never forget my first custom piece and every one I've done since has been easier because of my experience and confidence from prior work completed. Just think of yourself as a beginning Ernie Miller or Matthew Zettl or Earl Rasmussen! Congratulations on the sale and the most worthy comments from your customer.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Thanks so much for all of your kind words. You all motivate me so much to learn as much as I can and to always try to improve. :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I remember when you first made that bed. It impressed the heck out of me then and it still does. You let it go for a steal!!! But you never know what it might lead to.

Dave:)

SteveCogs

New User
Steve
That is a nice looking bed. I guess this means you are a professional woodworker.:gar-Bi Perhaps that couple would like a matching set of nightstands at a more accurate price point? :widea:

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
That is a nice looking bed. I guess this means you are a professional woodworker.:gar-Bi Perhaps that couple would like a matching set of nightstands at a more accurate price point? :widea:

I didn't even mention the nightstand. That's one thing that I had to hang onto. :embaresse Plus, I'm not satisfied enough with the veneer to sell that to someone. :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

I remember when you first made that bed. It impressed the heck out of me then and it still does. You let it go for a steal!!! But you never know what it might lead to.

Dave,

Thanks for the compliments on the bed. I let it go for what I spent for the wood. To be honest. I didn't mind, I was doing that work for free as it was for me. Just "returning" the wood to another place in a more functional form. :gar-La; We talked to those folks for well over an hour when they were here. Very nice couple. They need some trim carpentry work done on their house and I said I'd be happy to do it for them once we're living up in Raleigh. They also expressed a lot of interest in some furniture for their front porch. :widea: I didn't drill the pilot holes for the additional corner braces though, so hopefully he can manage that on his own without snapping too many screws/drill bits. :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead: If that turns out ok for him, he might still like me enough to give me some more work. :eusa_pray

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
That is a nice looking bed. I can see why they like it. Looks like you found someone that recognizes good craftmanship.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors