Shop is up and running

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Up until yesterday, I haven't had time to mess with the shop, but when I found out Andy (Carved Tones) was coming over, I figured I better get that place looking like a shop, rather than a room full of tools. :gar-La; Well, because of the move, employment situation, etc, money is pretty tight, so I didn't have an arm and a leg to spend on decking the shop out. :nah: So I drew up a basic plan for two shop tables. One was a miter saw stand, the other currently houses my drill press, jointer and grinder. That one will likely end up being my workbench and I'll just rotate whatever tool I need to use where my jointer is. I had plenty of deck screws already and I still had all of the counter tops that I got from Phillip (ptt49er), thanks again Phillip. :eek:ccasion1 So all I needed was some 2x4"s. Total cost to build these two tables: $40. All on 2x4"s. :gar-La; Here are a few pics.

The main table with drill press, jointer (will probably be a floating space), grinder, plenty of storage underneath, and my college degree (busy not using that) :rotflm:
shop_0062.jpg

Miter saw stand with portable tablesaw underneath. We're in the process of relocating the boxes of books. :gar-La;
shop_0044.jpg

Lathe and "clamp rack" :wink_smil
shop_0052.jpg

Right now I've got the planer clamped onto the portable tablesaw stand. The RT will probably be rotated into where the jointer is, if needed. The grill..... well, it looks like it's just going to have to be there. :BangHead:
shop_0024.jpg

The tablesaw and bandsaw.
shop_0013.jpg

I do a lot of turning and small flat projects, so I think this layout is pretty functional for that. The biggest challenge in building the tables was that the concrete floor came up around the edge of the walls about 2-3 inches, so the back legs of the tables all had to be cut shorter than the front. Once I'm able to find a job and get some more $$$ coming in, I'm going to start making a new table for the tablesaw and a new RT and various other upgrades. But for now, this is what I've got to work with. :gar-Bi

I had a great time talking to Andy yesterday evening. He is a very nice and smart guy, that's for sure. :thumbs_up:thumbs_up Thanks so much for the blanks too Andy. :notworthy: I think I might start on the mahogany one today. :widea: You're definitely welcomed to come by any time. :eek:ccasion1

Cheers,

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Great start Trent. All you really need now is sawdust and shavings to complete the design. Hope work finds you soon.:thumbs_up

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
WOW Trent!

You made short order on that project.:icon_thum Looking great and very functional. I can see sawdust starting fly in the not too distant future.

If you are ever in need of help with anything, I am just round the corner from you. Not too far from Scott M's and Andy. (As a matter of fact, I think one of daughters had an apartment over there for awhile.)

See ya!

Wayne

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
that garage makes a better shop than it ever did a garage!:gar-Bi if you parked a truck in there you would hafta have a moon roof to crawl out!:rotflm: congrats on the new space.:icon_thum

sjack

New User
jack
Dang Trent that was quick. You have packed up, move, setup shop and in that time I'll not gotten one thing done.:thumbs_up

skeeter

New User
Charles
Looks like you've been busy. I'm sure it's good to be able to get to everything. Now, put some sawdust on the floor!!!

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Looks like you've been busy. I'm sure it's good to be able to get to everything. Now, put some sawdust on the floor!!!

Thanks Charles! I've already put a little bit of sawdust on the floor. Andy is bringing over some poplar today and I imagine with my highly advanced dust collection system, there will be sawdust all over everything by the time we're done. :gar-La; Might be time to invest in a shop vac. :eusa_thin By the way, I'm going to be starting on something for you very soon. :wink_smil Thanks, and I hope all is well. :eek:ccasion1

dpsnyder

New User
Dan
looking good trent! small just forces you to be smart about how you set things up. looks fully functional to me!

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors