Shop cabinets - plywood and mounting drawer slides

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russ Denz

New User
Russ
Bas, and anyone else who has an interest,

As promised, I inventoried* my sheet goods this morning.
First comes the caveat, aka fine print. Inventoried* has to be taken loosely in this case. The majority is sitting flat on pallets and not stacked as neat as it could be, meaning all the edges are not lined up perfectly. Since I can't pick up each sheet to inspect and move it, the list below represents my best guesstimate as to species.

Having said that, here's what I have and the half-off pricing (per sheet) for each:
All is furniture grade veneer ply bought from Wall Lumber in Mayodan
1/2" Walnut @ $37 - 8 sheets
1/2" Pecan @$33.50 - 1 "
3/4" Walnut @$46 - 4 1/2 " (1 is 4 x ~6)
no 3/4" Pecan left - sorry
and here's a surprise find...1/4" Pecan @$25 - 11 sheets
I would like to add $25 total for gas expense to deliver it to the triangle area. If you would rather come here, pick through it yourself and take it home, so much mo' bettah da kine!
Best of luck on your project, meaning that it goes smoothly; no doubt it will be museum quality.

Russ

blazeman45

New User
Steve
The second question is about drawer slides. I have a couple of boxes of 18" full extension drawer slides that would be perfect for this project. What is the best way of mounting these in face-frame cabinets? I've seen the method of using a bracket in the back of the cabinet and then screwing it to the face frame, but (a) I'd have to buy these brackets and (b) I plan to make some of the cabinets 24" deep to have a larger work surface. I could run a rail inside the cabinet at 18" to attach the brackets, but that seems like a lot of work. The other option would be to build up the side of the cabinet so it's flush with the face frame. Basically a piece of scrap 18" long and ~2" wide. That's a lot simpler, but a lot of extra material.

This is a piece of cake!! Did it all the time when I was building cabinets.

Attach the front of the slide to the face frame first...

Next Rip some of your scrap plywood to 2 or 2.5 inch...

Cut the ripped pieces into 2"-4" lengths...

Attach these to the side of the carcass at the 18" mark or where the slide will reach it...

Attach your slide at this point, works just like the "bracket" you would install in the rear..

BE WARE!! If you are using 1 1/2 face frame material and euro style plywood the inset depth will be a little more the the width of the blocks you cutting from scrap. If that is the case, you will need to use 2x4 or similr and plane to thickness to make the correct thickness..

This method is a quick and inexpensive alternative and saves material...

Also make sure your slides are square with the face frame or the drawers will never line up right...

Hope this helps!!! Let me know if you have any questions. :thumbs_up

eyekode

New User
Salem
Lots of good advice here. Walnut ply for ~50$ a sheet sounds great by the way!

One more option is to check out 21productionz.
I don't know if he is still selling plywood but I was pretty happy with the Birch I bought from him. And his prices were really good.
Salem

EricS

Eric
Senior User
I agree with blutz on the european style. The full ext. slides are made for it.Concealed hinges work great with the euros also. If you want to achieve the look of FF cabinets all you need to do is use a subfiller between the cabs and attach a flush filler to the sub filler and do the same at the corners and where it meets the wall. Just my $.02
Eric
"Just a Happy Idiot Struggling for the Legal Tender" Jackson Browne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS