Shallow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I made a shallow bowl for our Japanese exchange student to take back home.

My daughter made some shots on the lathe but I had almost NO time to get it ready for her and missed the finish shots.

P0002365.jpg

P0002366.jpg

I'm still in my ceramic clone phase. :rolleyes:

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Mike nice progress. Hurry up and finish so you can enter in the contest.

Kalai

New User
Chris Kalai Allen
Hi Mike, nice job :) Nice chuck :) Nice lathe :) What kind of lathe is it? Aloha.

Kalai

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
It is finished and on the way to Japan, I didn't have time to make a picture of the finished piece. Maybe our student will send a photo from Japan.

The bowl is soft maple, 12 inches in diameter, 1.75 inches deep, recess on bottom to engage chuck is 1/8 inch deep and held firmly. There is some slight tiger striping in the edges of the maple that showed up after it was oiled.

I have never found another lathe like this one, it was made around the late 40s or early 50s. There is a small brass tag that says Chambers Aircraft, no other markings of any kind.

I did find a reference on the net to a company that built new cedar under carriages for old biplanes in the 50s. This may have been used to turn airplane axles. I have no idea who made the lathe.

Swing is 19 inch and cast iron bed is 8 feet long, head stock has bronze adjustable bearing and tailstock is 2.5 x 14 inch with #4 morse taper. Head and tailstock are machined from solid steel blocks.

Glennbear

Glenn
Excellent work Mike :eusa_clap You must be very proud that your work is now international :gar-Bi That sounds like one bodacious lathe, from your description vibration and project size are not issues :wink_smil Can you tell I love old arn ? :wsmile:

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Glenn,

I already had work in Japan, England and Canada and getting another project ready to ship to England.

The only problem with my lathe is the shop floor that it sits on. When I turn big wood that is not balanced like a burl that has differential internal mass then the floor moves in a wave like motion. I think the whole building may be moving but I haven't gone outside to look. I will have to set the lathe on concrete someday.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
If I give up it won't be because I built an insufficient shop floor, it will be because I am not a good turner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS