Sewing Room Cabinet Project Complete!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member

Started this project back in the fall to help organize Mary Ann's sewing room. My intention was to make it look semi-built in and just used the dimensions of the space between the wall and the window and the general pattern of our kitchen/bath cabinets for the design. I made two base chests of drawers and the bookshelf in this photo. The other chest of drawers is on the other side of the window with an existing bookshelf on top of it. The sides are 3/4" Baltic Birch from the great 2007 Charlotte BB ply haul. The tops/drawer fronts/face frames are Ash. I used a white pigmented lacquer on the chests of drawers and a latex enamel over a sanded latex interior primer rolled on with a smooth foam roller on the bookshelf. The latex enamel was modified with a 1 part Floetrol to 20 parts paint and layed down as nice as if I had sprayed it. The bun feet are Poplar, custom turned by Chris Mathes. Molding courtesy of Scott Hamm. Thanks guys!

I used some "different" assembly techniques on the drawers and all the corners of the chests and bookshelf. Here's a pic of a "Domino Drawer" where I used 6mm X 30mm Dominos instead of dovetails to make the 1/2" BB ply drawer box. Very easy, fast and strong. Just a butt joint w/Titebond II and 3 Dominos in each corner front and back. I had to flush trim ~1/4" of the Domino off the outside of the drawer box. Interior finish sanded and 3-4 coats of 2# Shellac followed by 0000 steel wool.

The Baltic Birch ply really spoiled me! It is the nicest, strongest, even-est, best-est stuff I've ever used! Beats the stuffings out of HD/Lowe's birch ply. Shoulda bought a bunch more when I had the chance. Doesn't look like we'll get any more for a while.:no:

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Super Nice job there, Mark!!!!:thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up

Never seen the Domino used for drawer boxes. Bet they will be super strong! The crown and finish also look fantastic.:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

Bet there are some brownie points for this awesome work!!!

Very Well done!

Wayne

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Nice work, Mark. Mary Ann will surely enjoy having it for storage!

PS - I'm trying to my hands on some more of the birch ply ... I'll let you know.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Very nice work Mark! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

I looked at the picture of the drawers and thought "what are those?" That's the beginner in me I guess. :slap: :rotflm:

Trent

b4man

New User
Barbara
Mark,
You made Mary Ann very very happy without a doubt. They look so professional. Great woodworking!:eusa_clap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors