Senior project completed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Awhile back my grandson's best friend asked me if I would be his mentor for his HS Senior Project, and of course I said yes. He wanted to build a dresser for his bedroom. We started the project about two months ago, and finished it this week. He works weekends and one afternoon a week, so our time was kinda limited. They are required to put in at least 15 hours on the project, but he put in more than that.

He's had a basic construction course, but never any woodworking instruction (seems they don't teach that in school any more), so we covered a number of aspects while building this dresser: safety, hand and power tool use, design elements, construction techniques, wood movement, finishing, etc. I don't know if he'll ever do any more woodworking, but at least he has a basic understanding now, and I've told him he can always use my shop.

The dresser is made of red oak I already had, and some plywood frame pieces. It is 42h x 42w x 21d and painted black. :swoon: Okay, not my first choice, but it's his dresser and that was a design choice he made. :wwink: Here's the dresser, and if you want to see pictures of the entire build process, you can find them here.

IMG_2027.JPG

View image in gallery

Bill

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Very nice, even though I agree about the color. It takes a lot of skill to make a nice gloss black piece; it is unforgiving of surface irregularities. This one is very nicely done!

davejones

New User
Dave
It looks great, even in black!

It sounds like he learned a lot. I am sure that had something to do with having a great mentor. :icon_thum

Even if he does not do any more woodworking right now, I suspect that some day he will long for the feeling of accomplishment once again.

cskipper

Cathy
Great project! I'm sure he not only learned a great deal, but the time spent with you made it piceless.

tar1heel

New User
RJ
It looks great! And even better is the fact that you spent the time teaching and helping. He may be a woodworker for life.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Thanks for the nice comments, everyone. If nothing else, he learned that a lot more goes into a piece of furniture than just tools and wood.

Bill

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
Very nice and the black works with the piece. He should be proud of his work.

Red

b4man

New User
Barbara
Thank you for this entire story. From your willingness to teach and share to your patience in following thru the build and the recording of the process.

Bill, Extraordinary doesn't begin to describe you.

Barbara:eusa_clap

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Way to Go Bill~!

That was one awesome Senior Project and from a much nicer shop than the one from my high school.

Way to spread the JOY of Woodworking with another.

dupont6480

New User
Tim
Bill,
Great project. I am sure you got more out of this than he did. Memories are forever. He is lucky to have you.
Take care,
Tim

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Very nicely done, Bill!

Betcha once he gets it in one of his rooms, he will have a hankering for more matching pieces.:wsmile::wsmile:

Perhaps another young woodworker is born through your direction and support.

Nice design and well executed!

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors