Router-carved Sign

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Last week my neighbor came asking for a sign for his new beach house. As the story goes, he's been "planning" on getting a beach house for years but never made the final decision. Now that he has, everyone in his family has one reaction .... "It's about time!" ... so he requested that I create a sign to "label" the beach house with this saying.

Here's the results from today's progress. He's likely going to take it from here and paint the letters & border -- then hang it by the house.

The glue up ...
IMG_7711.JPG.jpg

The sign design ...
IMG_7714.JPG.jpg

Work in progress...
IMG_7724.JPG.jpg

At the start ...
IMG_7719.JPG.jpg

And the unfinished sign ..
IMG_7730.JPG.jpg

Overall, it was a neat project. I've been planning on making a sign like this for my shop, so this just was practice that pays!

Makinsawdust

New User
Robert
Jeremy,
That a great sign. Doing it by hand is a pretty tough undertaking. I seem to find a way to cut into something I didn't mean to cut when I do it.
Rob

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Wow That looks great. I am impressed. What kind of bit did you use?

I didn't know which bit to use ... so I went with a Freud Round Nose bit. It gave it a somewhat hand-carved look ... and kinda looks like water -- which goes well with the beach theme.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Very, very impressive work, Jeremy!!!!:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

Almost looks like it was carved with a CNC machine of some type!

Better be careful. The folks that live in neighboring beach houses may be preparing a long list of sign's for ya to carve!!!:wsmile:

I am sure that they will be egually impressed and pleased!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

(Oh ya. I missed the type of wood you used?)

Wayne

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Jeremy, that's AWESOME!!! I really like how you raised the letters from the field. That's one top notched sign, you might be finding yourself much more work. Every beach-house community I've been to has every house named....that's a lot of sign work.
Only one suggestion I would make if it isn't too late, is to take a wide sweep carving gouge and "smooth" out the field a little bit. It looks not quite hand carved in texture. But dang good for router carved:eusa_clap

Also I would like to know how you did the computer print-out over several sheets like that :eusa_thin:icon_scra

Dave:)

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Nice work Jeremy! I would have had a pile of practice attempts before I ever got close to that... great job! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
The sign looks great! :icon_thum What wood did you use? I think I'll make one like that for my shop, only I'll use a saw blade in place of the seashell.:cool: BTW, get you a stool before you throw your back out leaning over that table!:wink_smil

M

McRabbet

A super job, Jeremy! But I'll bet your back was a bit sore after leaning over that bench for what must have seemed like an eternity! I like the background as is -- I think it looks like sand ripples, which is appropriate. I'm guessing the wood is Cypress -- hope so, as it will last! Kudos! :eek:ccasion1

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Thanks for the compliments... it was a first stab at this type of sign and was a success in my book.

The wood is 8/4 Cypress.

As for the need for a gouge, I completely agree. I don't know anything about carving, and went to WC today but didn't know which one I would need. Another fellow at work carves so I might take it to him on Monday to soften the router marks.

As for my neighbor, he about fell out of his seat. I don't know what he was expecting, but I think this surpassed it.

As for printing ... I just designed it in Illustrator then printed to my little inkjet printer. I told it to "overlap" the pages by 3/4" which helped line it up.

And on the back comment ... YES, SORE! This is why I want a bench than can "raise up" when I need it. I'm a taller guy and the lower benches KILL ME!

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I've got a copier that does 11 x 17 sheets & enlarges up to 200%. I suspect Jeremy did something like that. Right, Jeremy?

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Here's a question for you guys ... what do you think I should charge for the sign? I figure I have about 3hrs into it and 8ft of 8/4 Cypress. I'd like to see what your figures look like in comparison to what I think.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
When I was in the sign business back in the 80s and 90s I would charge around $250-$300 for a sign like that. Of course that was painted and hung so deduct $50 -$75 for that.

I think you should do the painting though. I'd hate to see such great work ruined by a rank paint job.

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
Very nice work Jeremy! My mother-in-law lives at the beach and she would love a sign like that. I'd be happy if mine tunred out half that good. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Badabing

New User
Joe
Hey Jeremy, glad you posted pics of this sign. It's awesome! after talking to you about it at WC today I was thinking along those lines but it looks a whole lot better than I imagined it. Nice job!

BTW, I saw you leaving WC and didn't get a chance to say bye. You had your hands full with Hailey though and seemed busy. I'll catch up with you next time!

Dutchman

New User
Buddy
Nice sign WoodWrangler. And good job with your safety gear!! (glasses, ear muffs and respirator:eusa_clap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS