Router bit advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mxracer

New User
Dan
Need some input on router bits please. I am new to woodworking and just picked up my first router. Now I need to get some bits. (sad I know but I'm a wood newbie) :dontknow: So I have a few questions.

1. Are there "essential" bits that everyone should have? I only know a couple like a round-over bit and straight bit but not sure about others that are used a lot.
2. Is it better to buy them piece mill, or in a set.
3. Is a set like this worth a crap or just junk?
http://cgi.ebay.com/66-Bits-Router-...in_0?hash=item33548998d2&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
4. The router I bought is a Freud FT2000E with a 1/2" collet, should I just buy 1/2" shank bits and stick with them or use the 1/4" collet and buy those bits?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Dan

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Dan.

There will probably be plenty of opinions here, but I would suggest trying out a smaller set from MLCS like one of these sets (they do carry larger sets too)....

http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/set15piece.html

I would try and go with the bits with a 1/2" shank for the strength and stability. The only time I would suggest 1/4" shanks is if you have a small trim router like a Bosch Colt or similar router that you use frequently. This is where I finally got to use some some 1/4" multi profile bits that I first purchased. (BTW ...MLCS do not charge for shipping and no sales taxes and they are pretty decent bits.:wsmile:) Whatever company you choose, make sure that the bits have carbide cutters at least!

You will probably find that you will use specific bits frequently iie straight cutting bits, spiral bits, roundovers and rabbeting bits. As you find your usage of certain bits increases; then invest in a higher quality bit like Katana, Freud, CMT or Whitesides for the longer term.

Purchasing a wide selection set, you will probably find that there will be a bunch of profiles in the set that you would rarely use.

Router bit cost can escalate pretty quick:elvis:, so that is why I suggest starting out slow with your purchases.

HTH

Wayne

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Dan.

There will probably be plenty of opinions here, but I would suggest trying out a smaller set from MLCS like one of these sets (they do carry larger sets too)....

http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/set15piece.html

I would try and go with the bits with a 1/2" shank for the strength and stability. The only time I would suggest 1/4" shanks is if you have a small trim router like a Bosch Colt or similar router that you use frequently. This is where I finally got to use some some 1/4" multi profile bits that I first purchased. (BTW ...MLCS do not charge for shipping and no sales taxes and they are pretty decent bits.:wsmile:) Whatever company you choose, make sure that the bits have carbide cutters at least!

You will probably find that you will use specific bits frequently iie straight cutting bits, spiral bits, roundovers and rabbeting bits. As you find your usage of certain bits increases; then invest in a higher quality bit like Katana, Freud, CMT or Whitesides for the longer term.

Purchasing a wide selection set, you will probably find that there will be a bunch of profiles in the set that you would rarely use.

Router bit cost can escalate pretty quick:elvis:, so that is why I suggest starting out slow with your purchases.

HTH

Wayne

Ditto! Good write up/advice Wayne!

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
+1 on what Wayne said. The most commonly used bits are straight bits (1/4" - 3/4"), roundover bits (1/8" - 1/2") and simple profiles (chamfer, ogee etc.). The good thing about buying a few cheaper bits is that you're not throwing away money (provided they're at least decent, like the ones from MLCS). Over time, you can invest in better bits, and relegate the cheaper bits to things like routing MDF.

Woodcraft often has reasonable bits on sale for $5, those are worth getting. I'd stay away from the big no-name sets on eBay, unless it's a super deal. I'd pay $30 for a set like you found, but not $75.

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
If someone mentioned this already,I apologize,but I have been using Frued for yrs an for the money you can't beat em.I DO NOT recommend those cheap bits that you see for 2 or 3 bucks at flea markets as the cutters are very poorly brazed on an can break off very easily and its like shrapnel.And please wear ear protection an a good pair of safety glasses.I forgot this,but I would recommend also to either get someone to help get you started and or get a nice book on using them.They can hurt you real quick.

tom hintz

New User
Tom Hintz
I am a big fan of Infinity Tools bits, have a bunch of them and have yet to have one even consider failing or making a bad cut. They aren't the cheapest out there but for what you get, I think they are the best value.
They have a 7-piece set (link below) that I like alot for the new woodworker. All of the bits are commonly used, all are carbide-tipped and all are 1/2" shanks (which you want for the strength and flex resistence). Plus, they even give you the bearing kit for the rabbeting bit, something else that comes in really handy.

http://www.infinitytools.com/prodinfo.asp?number=00-113

Guy in Paradise

New User
Guy Belleman
MLCS has been good

For years I purchased quality bits as I needed them, using various storage methods, usually random disorganization. But since I purchased the 45 piece MLCS set in the box a few years ago, I would only recommend getting a more complete set like it the first time. I can almost always find the bit I want and have enough choice to make changes. I like the box, it keeps the bits in fine shape. One stop shopping, so to speak. I even kept the oiled plastic sheet in the box. Although, the box could be mounted on the wall, I like the box mobile. Since I have two shops, one in Virginia and one in Japan, I now own two of the MLCS sets and am very satisfied.

In Japan, I live on a military base and often use the base hobby shop. I tried using their bits and was sad at the result. When I brought my MLCS set in and got perfect results on their machine, there were quite a few eyes making notes.

As a side note, after I use a bit, I always clean it off and apply a lubricant/coating as I put it away. There are several good ones available.

Even though the eBay listing you mention looks similar, I would be leery and stick with a company that has a reputable history.

Good luck.

dino drosas

Dino
Corporate Member
Stay away from cheap sets. They are crap! I mostly use Freud and I have also purchased many bits from www.magnate.net They make quality tooling at very good prices. Look at what you need and compare the prices with Magnate. Great customer service too. Be very careful with your router and make no sudden directional movements while it is running. It can jump out of your hands and it will hurt you.

Gregory Paolini

New User
Gregory Paolini
I don't buy sets... I buy what I need, or what I want when I see it on sale... As far as shank size, I go with 1/2" when possible, but in certain cases such as with some jigs, or bit diamaeters, you'll have to go with 1/4" bits.

If a bit has a big diameter, slow it down... I usually slow down the speed on anything bigger than about 7/8".

Remember safety - Eyes, ears, and FINGERS!!! And think about the direction the bit is spinning, and what effect it will have on the piece you're cutting.

Everyone was a newbie at one time - Some of us still are after a couple decades - So any questions you may have, don't feel afraid to ask!

mxracer

New User
Dan
Thanks for the input guys. I went with Wayne's advice and got the MCLS 15 piece set. After looking around a little and the info here it seemed to be a good starting point.

I'm sure there will be more that I'll but later. :wsmile:

SteveHall

Steve
Corporate Member
Are there any technical differences between Freud and Freud Diablo? They look to be the same, but I can't tell if Diablo is only distribution branding or if there really is a performance difference. Just a few weeks back, my locale HD changed from one to the other. But it isn't only that store, Capital City Lumber carries only Diablo, too.

Anybody know?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS