Router accessories...

Status
Not open for further replies.

pslamp32

New User
Peter
So I have at least 4 routers which I almost never use. I find them a bit cumbersome to adjust and change bits. Even more annoying to me is the lack of adequate dust collection. I have 3 of the Hitachi M12 routers and a Bosch Colt. More often than not I reach for the Colt because it's so easy. Unfortunately it is also a bit underpowered for some operations. I do very little profiling, mostly just dadoes or grooves. My last project required me to begrudgingly break out the router to cut grooves since the dado stack wouldn't work for accurate stopped dadoes. This made me realize that perhaps if I had better dust collection and a solid edge-guide I might be much more inclined to break out the router.

Now to my point! :gar-La; Anyone know where I can get good dust collection and edge guides for these very common Hitachis? I can't seem to find much online. I'm not opposed to getting a new router that has these accessories as well but don't really want to spend too much since my use is so limited. Any advice?

Thanks!

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Peter.

Router DC is always a challenge for me as well....

Have you ever thought of putting one of your M12's into a table? I have a Milwaukee 3 1/2 tucked up under a RT extension in my TS. The fence of the RT has a DC fitting and I hook up my shop vac and route away. Does it collect all of the dust? No, not really, but it does a pretty good job at collecting the bulk of it.

DSC00629.JPG

Now if you were to look at a Festool router. I hear that the DC on them is really quite good. Price!:elvis:

Wayne

xvimbi

New User
MM
You can easily make a decent edge guide yourself. However, there are commercial ones available for the M12. See here for the deluxe version of all edge guides: http://microfence.com/edgeguide-p-43.html

AFAIK, Hitachi makes edge guides for their routers, so check the accessories list. The same is true for dust collection. Check the manual.

Good luck! MM

pslamp32

New User
Peter
Peter.

Now if you were to look at a Festool router. I hear that the DC on them is really quite good. Price!:elvis:

Wayne

By the responses in this thread It appears I may need to add more green to my $table. I've been happy everytime I did but man does it hurt the wallet!

pslamp32

New User
Peter
Nice! Looking at the pictures I don't understand how the dust collection works. Could you enlighten me? Thanks!

xvimbi

New User
MM
I don't know which model M12 you have, but the one I looked at briefly had a dust-collection accessory mentioned in the manual with part number. Also, (some) current models seem to include edge guides, so they do exist.

You might want to check routerforums.com, a forum dedicated to all things router. Many people have M12's, and I see discussions about them all the time. I am sure there you'll find everything you ever wanted to know.

Cheers! MM

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Nice! Looking at the pictures I don't understand how the dust collection works. Could you enlighten me? Thanks!

I couldn't get a decent explanation either. Apparently Milwaukee marketing doesn't think much of hyping DC, but I talked with Sarge in Atlanta and he said it was all good! Anyway, here's a pic of the 2 piece dust adapter. The U shaped rod holds the plastic part when the edge guide is not in use. It doesn't interfere with the template guides either.

And here's a pic with a hose attached.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors