Rocking Chairs

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Well, my attempt at learning how to build rocking chairs is progressing slowly but steadily.
2_Rockers.jpg

The small one is cherry and will be a present for my granddaughter.
The larger one is made from SPY 2x6's from the BORG.
It fits me pretty well so it will be my "shop rocker" for a while.
I think the cost of the sandpaper I used exceeded the cost of the wood!
Med_Qtr.jpg

Med_Side.jpg

There are some WIP photos here:
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showgallery.php?cat=1501

I really enjoy working on these. Lots of room for experimentation.

pete

timf67

New User
Tim
Yeah, I'd say that you are progressing well...:roll:

It makes me want to stop posting pics of my measly little bowls... Great work!

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
Beautiful work Pete.
May I ask where you got the plans? I'd like to make a couple from White Pine for the shop porch, as a learning experience.
ken

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
May I ask where you got the plans?

Plans???? We don't need no stinkin' plans!!!!!!! :gar-La;

I just did a lot of surfing ( http://www.garyweeks.com/directory_rocking_chairs.htm is a good starting point). There's a bunch of free info out there. I looked at the Maloof style chairs Shamrock and WoodWrangler built as well as the $99 specials at the BORG and any other chair I came across. Read a few books. Took all that plus some of my own ideas. Made some sketches and started cutting. I have a barrel full of my mistakes to prove it!

pete

RobS.

Robert Slone
Senior User
Those are sweeeet! I want one (he said, wiping the drool from his mouth)! :gar-Bi

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
you shoudl be ashamed of those. they are terrible.:gar-Bi

i'll be by today to pick them up and take them away for you!:rotflm:

Shamrock

New User
Michael
Very nice Pete-those came out really well, did you cooper the seat n the SYP one? Can't what to see the next one:eusa_clap.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Plans???? We don't need no stinkin' plans!!!!!!! :gar-La;

I just did a lot of surfing ( http://www.garyweeks.com/directory_rocking_chairs.htm is a good starting point). There's a bunch of free info out there. I looked at the Maloof style chairs Shamrock and WoodWrangler built as well as the $99 specials at the BORG and any other chair I came across. Read a few books. Took all that plus some of my own ideas. Made some sketches and started cutting. I have a barrel full of my mistakes to prove it!

pete

That is what makes it a genuine learning experience------------you did a great job from what I can tell looking at the pictures.:icon_thum:icon_thum Keep up the good work.

Jerry

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Man I couldn't put that rocker in MY shop - way too nice! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

You're gonna make someone a very happy granddaughter, too. :cool:

Is most of the arm and edge shaping done with rasps/files?

Chuck

eyekode

New User
Salem
I love the leg and arm design. How the leg branches out as it goes up to the seat is really a neat touch. Looks like a little tree is holding up the seat :).

Very organic/smooth. So... where are the plans _you_ made for the rest of us to follow? :)

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Jerry - Thanks, It is a learning experience!!!

Chuck - To shape the edges I first used a 1/2" roundover bit. Then went back over them with a SureForm Rasp followed by filing, scraping and sanding. Shaping the arm was a combination of the above plus a little carving.

As to keeping it in the shop: The joinery on this one is OK but not great. Originally I wasn't even going to finish it. It was just supposed to be a test piece but it started looking decent so I decided to finish it up.

eyekode (what's an eyekode??? (No Capital so I assume it's not a proper name.)) - Thanks - The organic look was what I was going for. There really are no plans that anyone could follow. Also, I still have to make a number of changes before I consider it "ready for prime time". The rockers started out with a 42" radius but I changed the shape 4 or 5 times. To get the curve for the back splats I sat next to a piece of plywood and had my wife trace the profile of my back.

I do plan on making a set of "proper plans" once I iron out all the details. But I don't think it will happen before the August recess. I want to make sure I get it right rather than rushing it through :wink_smil
In the meantime - if you have any specific questions I'd be glad to share what I do have.

pete

eyekode

New User
Salem
eyekode (what's an eyekode??? (No Capital so I assume it's not a proper name.))
pete

I wish I knew exactly... This is a name I chose more than a decade ago. It has something to do with me being a software engineer :)

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
Okay Pete when is your first class cause I am coming to learn. Those rockers turned out great.... I can't wait to see your next try....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors