Removal of Finishing from Cherry Boards- Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodsaw

New User
Qui
I have a few cherry boards which have been finished. I want to remove the finish. What is the best way of doing it? I tried drum sanding. It didn't work. The finish filled the sand paper quickly causing burn to cherry. I don't want to use planer either. It will plane the boards too thin:gar-Cr. Any other ways? Help is appreciated.

Qui

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
stripper. outside well ventilated, wear gloves and eye protection. paint it on let sit then scrape it off with a card scraper or whatever you have to scrape with. its a messy project but you dont lose wood. I learned the drum sander dont work the same way you did!:BangHead:

fred p

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
stripper. outside well ventilated, wear gloves and eye protection. paint it on let sit then scrape it off with a card scraper or whatever you have to scrape with. its a messy project but you dont lose wood. I learned the drum sander dont work the same way you did!:BangHead:

fred p

Amen to that. I had to strip an entertainment center one time. By the time I was done I think I would've rather burned it and built one from scratch. :BangHead::rotflm:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I just recently used a product called Safest Stripper. I used in in my shop and didn't even need to wear gloves. I was removing a few layers of paint that had been applied over a poly finish. About 30 minutes it had removed all the layers down to bare wood. It's a gel formulation so it stayed well on vertical surfaces. I was quite impressed with it over other more toxic strippers I have used in the past.

Dave:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS