Refinishing A guitar

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
I picked up an inexpensive Strat knock off of craigslist the other day. $30 guitar, body, pickups, pretty much everything to make a playable guitar. I figured for $30 bucks I wouldn't go to wrong. It's a pretty decent little guitar, don't know if the pickups work or not I'll need to rewire the whole thing any way.

Anyway, I picked up the guitar and the guy had started sanding on it apparently he was going to refinish it as well. So this is what I started with
IMG_4572_1280x960.JPG

View image in gallery

I decided to start on the back to determine the best way to remove the paint. I took my RoS with some 40 Grit and spent probably 30 - 45 mins sanding on it to the get the paint off. I knew I could do better so for the front I bought out the big guns, my 4 inch belt sander. I wish I would have done that the first time. It took all of about 8 mins to pull off the paint from the front of the guitar and I ended up with this.

I spent some time sanding the rest of the body at 60 grit to get the remaining paint off did some minor reshaping on the body to my liking and sanded up to 220 and attached it to a stick. :)

Then I started priming her.

This is the first go round of primer. I am going to sand this back just a little bit and fix some spots I over sanded and reshoot it with the white primer, then probably sand it back again at 220 I'm debating on if I should fill the grain or if I want the grain to peak through a little bit. I haven't totally decided. I usually like to let a little grain come through.

I'm going to use Kylon Indoor/Outdoor Spray Paint #53543 Celery Color to get sort of a sea foamy green color to it. I'm going retro with this one, I'm playing in a 50's Dinner Theater in March and figured I would have something that you might have seen in the 50's although not totally accurate to the actual Fender Guitar but close enough for my liking. Once it's colored then I'll shoot it with some clear and sand and polish it and hopefully it comes out looking good and I don't totally botch it.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
Thanks for this. I'm planning a guitar-build weekend for some non-woodworking friends who all play guitar. I don't, but I have all the tools :> This gave me a couple more ideas for them.

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
Thanks for this. I'm planning a guitar-build weekend for some non-woodworking friends who all play guitar. I don't, but I have all the tools :> This gave me a couple more ideas for them.

What are you going to be building for them? I've got a custom build going on as well right now that I will post once it's actually finished. I started that one from scratch so it's going to take a little longer. I have most of the tools. I need to get some fret tools, saw, files, etc but this one is easy to put together and I didn't want to spend a ton on a 50's era style guitar. :)

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
What are you going to be building for them? I've got a custom build going on as well right now that I will post once it's actually finished. I started that one from scratch so it's going to take a little longer. I have most of the tools. I need to get some fret tools, saw, files, etc but this one is easy to put together and I didn't want to spend a ton on a 50's era style guitar. :)

I'm not building anything ;) I'll just be instructing and facilitating :> And performing any of the more dangerous operations. They will be doing the build. Only one of them has done any WWing, but they're all pretty handy.

As such, we are going to be pretty conservative in our goals. We won't be building a neck. We'll only have 3-4 days to complete the build. They'll likely do the finish and assembly on their own.

They are thinking about starting with a kit like this:
http://www.carvinguitars.com/catalog/guitars/index.php?model=gk1p
They'd like to do a nicer face, so we might start with one of those and run the body through the planer to take off 1/8-1/4" of thickness and then put on a nice veneer on the front and re-rout the holes. The most serious player wants to build a custom travel guitar with a shorter neck and smaller body. But he might still start with an existing body and then we'll cut it down to size.

I don't play...so I know very little about guitars.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
For other ideas on refinishing a guitar, check out harmonycentral.com

Click on Forum at the top of the page. On the next page, look under the Guitar heading and click Electric Guitar.

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
Re: Refinishing A guitar - a little update

Well since I'm waiting on paint to dry. :gar-La; I figured I would post a few more pics.

After the first round of primer dried I sanded it back a little with some 220 grit and smoothed out some rough spots I found when I starting putting the primer on

After that I decided I was going to fill the grains, so I grabbed some Joint compound. Yep Joint compound. It works pretty well. I learned that from another guy that builds guitars. You just put it on smooth it out then sand it back and it fills all the pores and it made for a very nice smooth surface. Then I shot it with some more primer and am waiting on that to dry. Once thats done I'll hit with 220 again and start putting some color on it. Should be fun.

Well while I was writing this I couldn't wait any longer so I went and shot it with some of the color. It will take several more coats but I'm already thrilled with it.

Its going to look great when its all back together....

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I just finished a 4 string bass build. I bought a used Ibenese neck, P & J fender style pickups, electronics kit and a cheap bridge off of Craigslist. I routed the body with a home made template. The body is 3 pieces of QS Poplar edge glued. I painted the body metal flake blue only because there was some left over paint from when my son painted is 73 Plymouth.

More than anything I was curious to see how it would go rather than anything else. It was perhaps one on the more easier projects I've done in a while. I've got 75.00 wrapped up in it and 22 hours. The only tough part about it was routing the bolt on neck pocket, I got all the dimensions right, it's a nice snug fit, but forgot about the the neck angle. So I shimmed the front of the neck up a 1/32" and after setting it up all is ok. It plays ok and sounds ok, nothing really special. I'm still tweaking the torsion rod and saddles trying to get it to play "just right". But never the less I was happy that it all came together and was a lot easier than I anticipated. It's all about the centerline...

I'll try and get some pics up in the next few days.

Good luck on your refinishing job, looks like fun :)

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
Jeff... I have a custom build going right now. I'm working on the neck. Once I get the neck finished it will be time to route the pocket. This is going to be a set neck should be interesting. I'm going to post on it once I finish. If the neck doesn't work out.. I've got one I got off ebay that I'll probably use to get a build done and build some confidence. Can't wait to see your build.

This has been a fun little project. I can't wait to get all the clear done. That's going to be the scary part, and then see how she turns out. If anything this is good practice for my custom build. I am going to spray a black metal flake on it. The one nice thing about the non flake paints is you can sand them to smooth them out. :)

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
:wconfused::wconfused::wconfused::wconfused::kamahlitu:kamahlitu:kamahlitu:

Well GRRRRRR!!!!!! I started spraying the clear on the guitar tonight and came back out to find it bubbling up on the guitar, so I started looking at it a little closer and the clear was essentially melting the paint the hole thing started becoming really rubbery. So back to square one. I get to pull off all that paint and primer, reseal it, re-prime it and re-paint it. I know what the problem is. I used Krylon paint and Rust-o-leum clear and obviously the two don't like each other. So I'll be getting all Krylon next go-round. The really sad thing is that after I sprayed it I thought that I had read some where about being careful mixing brands of paint and clear. Lesson Learned unfortunately.

Now I have to see if the paint will stabilize to pull it off of there. I may just go get some stripper and see if that will pull it off with out having to sand to much.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Nice job:icon_thum My four year old grandson wants me to make him a guitar - I guess I better get busy -

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
Looks great. String that thing up shred!! :gar-Bi

Yeah I need to get it strung up. Unfortunately I was testing the Pickups last night and I think the middle pickup is dead or needs to have the wiring fixed. So I get to take it back apart and see if I can see what's going on. If not I'm going to order one of these pre-wired pick guards. I think I mentioned this before I am using this more or less for 1 performance for a 50's era play. It will probably end up on a wall afterwards. I'm really happy with it. I learned alot doing it and the next one will be even better. I can't wait. :gar-Bi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS