Redheart Turning Squares - Worst Checking I've ever seen!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimwill48

James
Bought some 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 x 6" Readheart Turning Squares from The MAthews Woodcraft was going to use them for bottlestoppers, ect. Cut a 2" piece off one yesterday and have never seen wood check like this in my life. The wood came fully wax coated, made my cut with a bandsaw and I could watch the wood checks grow in front of my eyes. When cut all looked good in less than one minute this wood developed horrible checking to the point it is unusable....:crybaby2:.

Also bought some Cocobolo, Bol Rosewood Squares along with 1x1x12" spindles of Rosewood, Redheart, Olivewood (most expensive) Cocobole and a couple of others, all fully covered in wax, hope all this stuff doesn't act like the Redheart..8-O

Really needed the 1x1x12: spindles for some big pen blanks for some Gent Rollerballs....:eusa_thin

Anyone else buy and of these woods at the Mathews Woodcraft....?

James

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
Redheart is a rather "light" wood and the color turns brown Try to get some bloodwood.
As far as jumbo blanks for a GENT.I drill all my patterned blanks of the lathe using a BEall collet.
The largest collet available is 3/4" the blanks I drill are usually .70 for the GENTS. I reinforce the blank with gauze and CA and turn round to fit in the collet.

Wildwood

New User
Wildwood
Would take the wood back to store; explain and show them what happened. Let them know your concerned about the other wood you've purchased from them.

If they stand behind their products will either replace the useless wood, or give you back your money.

Completely sealing a piece of wood completely in wax does not allow it to dry or reach MC, no matter where you store it.

Gary G

New User
Gary
...Really needed the 1x1x12: spindles for some big pen blanks for some Gent Rollerballs....:eusa_thin
I'm not trying to take advantage of your "need" but I happen to have some extremely dark bloodwood and have some that hasn't been cut to length yet. The 1" x 1" x 5-1/2" blanks are $1.50 each, $1.25 each for more than 10. If you want some 12" long ones, they're $3.00 each.
I can fit 10 of the 5-1/2" blanks in a $4.60 flat-rate envelope.
This is what they look like:
bloodwoodFS1.jpg

Here's a cigar made with a randomly selected blank:

bloodwoodCigar1.jpg

Glad to help if I can.
Gary

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
Bought some 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 x 6" Readheart Turning Squares from The MAthews Woodcraft was going to use them for bottlestoppers, ect. Cut a 2" piece off one yesterday and have never seen wood check like this in my life. The wood came fully wax coated, made my cut with a bandsaw and I could watch the wood checks grow in front of my eyes. When cut all looked good in less than one minute this wood developed horrible checking to the point it is unusable....:crybaby2:.

Also bought some Cocobolo, Bol Rosewood Squares along with 1x1x12" spindles of Rosewood, Redheart, Olivewood (most expensive) Cocobole and a couple of others, all fully covered in wax, hope all this stuff doesn't act like the Redheart..8-O

Really needed the 1x1x12: spindles for some big pen blanks for some Gent Rollerballs....:eusa_thin

Anyone else buy and of these woods at the Mathews Woodcraft....?

James

hey James.. Come on by you probably passed by the farm on the way to woodcraft. I have purpleheart, jatoba, bloodwood, sapele, tigerwood and all the regular assortments of normal wood including Big leaf maple burl redwood burl claro burl

I will have about 80bf of super tight grained redwood (tiger stripe) in next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors