Raleigh area carving get together?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I have tried to drum up interest before and it didn't ever materialize, but it's been a while and I thought I would give it another shot...

There have been a couple of get togethers in Charlotte that were reasonably well attended. Not real hung up on whether it's someone presenting something, group project or a social event with sharp objects. If you are interested, reply to this thread or IM me even if it gets old and closes.

CarvedTones

Andy
I also got some possible interest from Holly Springs and even though I say "Raleigh area" I am actually in Cary right where it confronts Apex and Holly Springs.

Bugle

Preston
Corporate Member
I have an Apex address, Garner phone #, kids went to Fuquay High, and I get my power from Cary...talk about being on the "cusp"!

CarvedTones

Andy
I am on my third zip code - first was Raleigh, last two Cary - without moving. We have always been in the town limits of Cary, though when we first moved in it was a non contiguous portion as they skipped over some farmland and then claimed our neighborhood.

CarvedTones

Andy
I am giving this another bump to pop up it back up on the home page. Right now, it looks like me and Preston (Bugle). Would it help if I came up with a project? Carving a bowl from locally harvested wood? Carving the barley twist as in my avatar? Open to suggestions...

Bugle

Preston
Corporate Member
Andy,
Sorry it took so long to reply (I got your pm). It's been crazy around here...getting ready for a trip to Oregon to see my new grandson. Having a carving session is a good idea. I would be interested in giving the barley twist a try. Any weekend next month except the 16th or the following (Easter) would work for me. Hope we get some more interest.

eyekode

New User
Salem
I would be all in... except I have never carved a thing in my life (unless you consider "carving" with sandpaper...). Sometime this year I will pick up the necessities and learn basic carving.
Salem

CarvedTones

Andy
Salem,

Following up on Preston's reply about the barley twist, the major shaping starts with a handsaw and chisel. Well, after the rounding that is, but I will go ahead and round blanks beforehand. You can continue with carving details that make it more of what you think of as regular carving. I need to finish up one I have had in progress a long time (the first excuse was to stick it aside in a bag as it was carved green). It is farther along than in this picture:
marble_snake.JPG

but not as far as it should be. That is a single twist made into a marble trail. A double twist is the more common furniture decorative touch.

Maybe we can tentatively shoot for April 9th or 10th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors