Quick Christmas ornament project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monty

New User
Monty
Quick little project - made a snowman ornament for each of my kids, then let them add the finishing touches with a Sharpie. Example:

IMG_58711.jpg

Scrap maple, with walnut top hat. Turned out even better than I expected! :cool:

M

McRabbet

Cute and I'm sure the kids were thrilled to participate! I hope you put their names on the bottoms of each one so they'll know their own when they are grown up!

Rob

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Monty, I love it!! My daughter just watched Frosty the Snowman for the first time and realy enjoyed it. I think that I may have to "steal" your idea, she would love it.
Dave:)

BTW, nice job :icon_thum

J

jeff...

Speaking of that - I really need to get in the Christmas Spirit - nothing does it better than watching the orginal it's a wonderful life, in black and white of course. :drunken_s

Cool snow man :icon_thum

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Nice Monty. :eusa_clap I bet they will be keepsakes for your kids. Good to get them involved.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
I simply have to learn how to turn! Those are great ideas, and an easy way to cover all my nieces and nephews.

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
I will glue some blanks this week. You will catch on quick, its fun turning. But I'm not responsible for what you buy after you spend a day turning. :icon_thum

Monty

New User
Monty
Thanks for all the comments. It really is a simple project. Since some people have expressed an interest in doing this, I'll point out a few things to keep in mind....

- Watch the weight! Heavy ornaments can really sag your boughs, and hardwoods are heavy even at this small scale. The snowmen I made are 2½" tall, and are OK in terms of weight but I wouldn't want them to be any heavier. I have heard of making ornaments out of basswood, but I don't have any of that stuff.

- Sharpies bleed. To keep the ink from bleeding into the wood fibers, I applied a couple of coats of spray lacquer before I let the kids loose with the Sharpies. Then I sprayed a couple of top coats of lacquer after the designs were complete.

- I soaked the knot in the "scarf" with a couple drops of thin CA glue to keep the knot from coming undone.

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
Thanks for the info Monty:icon_thum That will help with the project. Now to see if I have some basswood :eusa_thin

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I wondered about the weight. Basswood is pretty common at hobby shops. Cypress would probably be a good light weight wood as well.

I may whip out the lathe and make one for my little girl. She gets a kick out of "helping" finish stuff.

Nice job Monty.

cskipper

Cathy
In addition to having them write their names on the bottom, be sure to put the year. They are cute.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors