Question for Dave-O

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
Chris and I were gathering some burl, apple and Persimmon and came across an old demolished homestead with this tree on it..

Any idea what this is?

100_2316_55_1.jpg

100_2318_57_1.jpg

It is very dense and resembles walnut but is obviously not walnut.

Thanks

Kyle

richlife

New User
Rich
Hmmm. Not having a clue, I'll jump into this because I'd like to know. I live in an old almost untouched forest and have lots of ironwood -- but nothing approaching this size. As for butternut, never used it, but I thought if was a softer wood, not dense. I'd still vote for black walnut that has seen some interesting times. I've seen similar grain in walnut, and the cut angle could produce something like this.

Sure hope we can get a true answer. Can you magnify and get a photo of the end grain? Rich

Edit: Oh, it occurred to me that you've seen the bark -- is that why you say not black walnut?

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
It is not butternut or ironwood..I have sawn lots of those. I am stumped because it was only 8-9" in diameter, VERY dense and has walnut like coloration. I tried to id by fallen leaves, but could find any not deteriorated. My guess is an ornamental/spice of some variety since it was near an old home site.

Mr. Bill

New User
Bill Hinds
My son in Raleigh was given two slab of what the giver called Mulberry several years ago. He installed one as a counter in a pass thru in his home and included the second as part of the deal when he sold the house. It sure looks like the picture. And, no, Dad could not talk him out of the second piece :gar-Cr

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
It is not butternut or ironwood..I have sawn lots of those. I am stumped because it was only 8-9" in diameter, VERY dense and has walnut like coloration. I tried to id by fallen leaves, but could find any not deteriorated. My guess is an ornamental/spice of some variety since it was near an old home site.

How About Hickory?

It looks similar to a log I had, but mostly only had the dark coloration on one side, not almost the whole middle like yours.

Here's my pic,

With Anchor Seal on top

Without Anchor seal

I'll get another pic of the Bark, (mine looked very similar) After the GSC Shop crawl. Unless someone has the real answer by then.

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
+1 on the hickory vote.

I've cut and burned a bunch of it for heat many years ago, but I've never made anything from it. Then I never had any that was that big either. That's definitely worth making something from. If you've got enough it would sure make a pretty table.

Charley

RobS.

Robert Slone
Senior User
From what little I can see of the bark it resembles some type of fruitwood like maybe an old peach or crabapple. More pictures of the bark would be nice.

The wood resembles some apple that I have, but then it also sort of looks like some memosa I have too. But the bark is not memosa. Any chance it's something like elder?

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
I was thinking more along the line of Bay tree or some other ornamental. It is definitely not hickory or pecan as I have sawed about 20,000 feet of that hateful stuff.

The density is on par with locust or dogwood, but the coloration looks exactly like walnut.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I'm going to guess Redbud. I have a red bud tree out back and the bark looks a lot like that.

Here's a few web pics

RedbudBurlFish.jpg

bowls%20-%20redbud%20sphere%20and%20log.jpg

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Chris and I were gathering some burl, apple and Persimmon and came across an old demolished homestead with this tree on it..

Any idea what this is?

100_2316_55_1.jpg

100_2318_57_1.jpg

It is very dense and resembles walnut but is obviously not walnut.

Thanks

Kyle

A wild guess: A very mature river birch. The bark and yellowish heartwood are a pretty good match for a mature tree, but your description of it as "very hard" doesn't fit the species although it's a moderately hard wood. Perhaps the funny grain of the burl made it seem harder when you were sawing it. :dontknow:

Check out this statement from the link below: "The heartwood has a characteristic dark or chocolate brown streaking which looks like worms."

http://mdc4.mdc.mo.gov/Documents/425.pdf

Just a thought. We'll see what others think as well. Maybe you could show it to a local forester for a positive id. :help:

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
JeffMills,

I think you hit the nail on the head.. The bark looks exactly like Redbud.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS