planing a wide board?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobS.

Robert Slone
Senior User
Anyone know of a shop where I might get a large slab of pecan planed? It's 21 1/4" wide x 2 3/4" thick x 77" long. It also needs to be cut to length. My planer is only 15" and my saws won't handle the thickness.

Looking for a shop in the Wake, Franklin, Nash, Wilson Co. area.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Rob, in a few more weeks I'll be able to help you out. Let me know if you can wait that long.

Scott

RobS.

Robert Slone
Senior User
I'm in no hurry. Eventually I'm going to make a food preparation table. It will be 48" long with turned legs and a lower shelf. The slab will be the top. It's a beautiful hunk of wood. The leftover piece will likely become a cutting board, maybe another smaller table.

Thanks!

jsjordan

New User
Joel Jordan
Hey Scott -

Please let me know when you get set up. I got one of the pecan slabs from Rob (Thanks Rob!) and would like to have it surfaced as well.

Thanks - Joel

Don Sorensen

New User
Butch
Rob-
You might ask the guys at East Wake Hardwoods over in Zebulon (not too far away). I recall they have a great big ole planer in their shop. Nice people there, too.

RobS.

Robert Slone
Senior User
Scott,
I'm going to check with East Wake Hardwoods first since they are a lot closer. Joel's slab is identical to mine. It was the next slice off the same log. If EWH can't do it I'll be back in touch with you.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Rob - no problem.

I didn't mention it before, but the machine that I'm setting up is a jointer - planer, not just a planer. It will flatten and dimension boards up to 25" wide. I also have a 37" widebelt sander that I'll be putting into operation around the same time.

Glennbear

Glenn
Rob - no problem.

I didn't mention it before, but the machine that I'm setting up is a jointer - planer, not just a planer. It will flatten and dimension boards up to 25" wide. I also have a 37" widebelt sander that I'll be putting into operation around the same time.

It is nice to know your shop's capabilities Scott, I have some pen blanks that might need touching up. :rotflm: Seriously, best wishes on your continuing shop resurrection. :wsmile:

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
:gar-La; Glenn - bring those pen blanks over anytime!

Thanks for the kind words - it's starting to get exciting....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS