Pictures from harpsichord land

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Hi all,

I hope my 18th century brain has figured out how to include pictures in a post. If not, you'll be looking at a rather blank post.

The first pix is a single manual (keyboard) Flemish harpsichord which is simply decorated and sits on a simple trestle stand.

flemish.jpg

The next photo is the same instrument highly decorated with faux marbling and lid papers. It sits on an 8 legged turned stand.

enhanced1.gif

Next photos is a double manual French harpsichord that sits on a Louis XV cabriole stand.

amy.gif

And finally, my own personal instrument which is a double manual Franco-Flemish on an 8 legged turned stand. My wife, Sandy, did the lid painting as well as the soundboard painting on all of the instruments.

DOUBLE.jpg

Next time I'll post some pix of scale model music boxes. Hope you enjoy!

Ernie

Last edited:

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
All I can say is WOW! What talent and craftsmanship both of you have.:notworthy::notworthy:

b4man

New User
Barbara
Ernie and Sandy,

I'm in AWE:eusa_clap Eye candy for sure. Thanks for sharing those pix and being a part of our group.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Definitely look like pieces from a European museum!!! I cannot imagine all of the hard work, dedication to perfection and craftsmanship that go into pieces like this!

'Awesome work' seems like such an inadequate description.

Thanks for sharing the great photos.

Wayne

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
My sincerest thanks to all who have responded so kindly to the photos of my instruments. Building harpsichords can be a lonely, isolated craft at times and it's wonderful to get such wonderful feedback from my fellow woodworkers. I'll post some more photos as soon as I'm sure that the boost to my ego won't swell my head to the point where I can't put on my hat!

Ernie

sapwood

New User
Roger
Ernie, it only takes a quick glance to know you need to buy a bigger hat . . . and one for your wife too. :icon_thum

Thanks for sharing,
Roger

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
Ernie, I see that you have conquered the picture posting process. Having met you and Sandy, I think I can say that, while the two of you have a great deal of justified pride in your work, there is not a hint of egotisim. Although I wouldn't want you to give away any trade secrets, a picture tutorial of your next project would be very interesting.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Thanks Stuart. I hope you're right 'cause I wouldn't be very happy with myself otherwise. I do plan to post pix of the progress on my next instrument as soon as I figure out what instrument to build next.

Regards to all,
Ernie :wsmile:

striker

Stephen
Corporate Member
Sorry Ernie, this site is for the mortal world. If you're gonna do that super human stuff you have two choices: kick a instrument leg out of square like the rest of us or join the super human wwrking site.

Honestly, your work is technically and esthetically beyond belief.

Stephen

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Stephen,

Thanks for the kind words...... but you're assuming that the legs ARE square. They might be and then again.........

Ernie:notworthy:

Vanilla Gorilla

New User
Marco Principio
Oh man, looking at those pictures physically hurt. Making an instrument is phenomenally precise work, and then to do it on such a large scale, and with such BEAUTIFUL form. I am definitely awestruck and humbled. You and your wife are both very talented, and I am honored that you would share your work with us!

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Marco,

That's exactly how I feel when I look at the beautiful cabinet work and other projects that are displayed on this website. I wouldn't know how to begin if I tried building some of the projects I've seen here. I guess the grass is always greener in somebody else's yard. I'd love to be able to build some of the furniture built by NC woodworkers. Maybe, some day, I'll learn enough to do it.

Thanks so much for your kind words.

Ernie:notworthy:

jack briggs

New User
jabguit
Ernie,

Beautiful work on the harpsichords! It's great to see works from other instrument makers and I hope that more will 'come out of the woodworks'!

Cheers,

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Hi Jack,

Welcome to the site. I joined a month ago and find it a great place filled with great people. I'm sure you'll enjoy it here. Thanks for your kind words. I hope, as you do, that other instrument makers join. Please post some pictures of your guitars..... I'd love to see them.

Ernie :wsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS