CIMG2556.JPG

CIMG2557.JPG

CIMG2558.JPG

Thanks

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Re: *pics* Touchwood Sycamore Rocker WIP

Gorgeous!!! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

woodguy1975

New User
John

You go Jeff!!!!!!!!!!

Nice work. It looks like you've made a lot of great progress. Are you working from Taylor's plans? How are they to follow?

Btw, you might want to shorten up the center peak just a bit. We typically run ours 8-6 back from the front. Too far back and it starts inpacting sensitive areas. :)

If you run into anything you have questions on feel free to PM me. It looks like you are a doing a fantastic job! :)

John

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy

So who's making this ... Touchwood or Jeff...?

It's beautiful wood and a great looking chair!

dino drosas

Dino
Corporate Member

Congratulations on a great looking chair and a great choice of wood. I have been thinking about making another rocker myself, using the QS Sycamore I got from you and Scott. You may have just made up my mind.

LeeNC

New User
Lee

:notworthy: That chair is amazing! You just confirmed that it will be a little while before I attempt a rocker. Nice shop too, by the way.

Lee

Glennbear

Glenn

Thanks for posting the pictures Jeff, I saw a completed rocker at Don's shop on the shop crawl and it is nice to see how it was made. Did Don share the pictures or did you have the chance to "haunt" his shop while the chair was made ? :wsmile:

Touchwood

New User
Don

You go Jeff!!!!!!!!!!

Nice work. It looks like you've made a lot of great progress. Are you working from Taylor's plans? How are they to follow?

Btw, you might want to shorten up the center peak just a bit. We typically run ours 8-6 back from the front. Too far back and it starts inpacting sensitive areas. :)

If you run into anything you have questions on feel free to PM me. It looks like you are a doing a fantastic job! :)

John

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi John,

Thanks for the input on the center part..I gave it the "sit test" yesterday and had the same conclusion.:icon_thum

Yes the design is Hal's. This is the fifth one I've built and it's the best so far in the execution...there's absolutely no twisting the back braces and they have plenty of flex.

Each one has been a bit different..the design sort of evolves. I made the headrest curve more this time, and the seat carving is much deeper with longer "prongs" at the front. I'm changing the arm shape as well. Lot's of fun, but making a slip with a carbide cutter grinder on something that took many days to make is a real "Awe S---"!:BangHead:

I built square Shaker stuff for years and just had to make something with curves. These rockers are a real joy to work on.

I was nervous about committing so much time with the QS Sycamore because it's so different...wild color and grain pattern. I'm sure glad I did. Jeff's wood is terrifc!

God does all the hard work..we just make it easier to see.

Don

Touchwood

New User
Don

You go Jeff!!!!!!!!!!

John

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

John

Tried to send another PM, but they tell me your inbox is full:eek:

Don

J

jeff...

Hey guys - NOT my work, it's Touchwood's (Don Patterson) - you really think I have this much talent? I mean seriously... :rotflm:

Dutchman

New User
Buddy

Very nice, :eusa_clap thanks for all those pics!!
I was wondering why you chose to run the grain on the head rest vertical (glue up several pcs). Do you find this method easier than bending a horizontal piece?

DaveO

New User
DaveO

Jeff...thanks for the pictorial :icon_thum
Don outstanding work, that is going to be one beautiful and comfortable chair. I think that the QS Sycamore will really add some unique characteristics to it.
Please have Jeff... post some pictures when it's all finished.
Dave:)

woodArtz

New User
Bob

I saw this rocker earlier in the process when my son and I visited a few weeks ago. That Sycamore looks even more spectacular close up :icon_thum. My son commented "why don't you make one of those, dad". I told him I'd leave that to the experts. Great work Don! :eusa_clap

Shamrock

New User
Michael

WOW! That is fabulous-now I'm really itching to try my 1st rocker-thanks for the pictorial! That sequence was better than a whole issue of Playboy-keep um coming. WOW!

:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead: clamps-clamps-why don't I have as many clamps as
Touchwood?

Touchwood

New User
Don

Very nice, :eusa_clap thanks for all those pics!!
I was wondering why you chose to run the grain on the head rest vertical (glue up several pcs). Do you find this method easier than bending a horizontal piece?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi Buddy,

Actually the head rest is "coopered"...like the way we used to make buckets...etc. We need to have the total angular curve match the angle between the two back legs...in this case 40 degrees. Each piece is cut at a fraction of that angle to match the total. I would not want to try and bend 1 1/2" thick hardwood to that shape even with steaming and forms...not a good idea long term for the wood. Also, we want the grain direction to match the back braces and the top of the back legs.

If you look in my gallery you'll see what I mean. Hope I answered your question,

Don

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff

Don,

When I visited your shop during the crawl I knew that I was witnessing my own limitations. Your work is beautiful. I can only hope for my simple work to look half as good.:notworthy::notworthy:

Rocker

New User
John

Wonderful work, Don. I love the grain of that sycamore and it really stands out on the headrest and seat. Was the sycamore easier to work that the utile?
John (Rocker)

Touchwood

New User
Don

Don,

When I visited your shop during the crawl I knew that I was witnessing my own limitations. Your work is beautiful. I can only hope for my simple work to look half as good.:notworthy::notworthy:

Thanks Geoff...in fact thanks to all of you for the encouraging comments.

Geoff..I'm sure your work is fine...the important thing is getting the enjoyment out of creating your own thing. I work far too slowly..LOML says I'm too much of a perfectionist..I think it's just senility creeping in.:swoon:

Don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS