Photographing woodworking projects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Woodworking is difficult enough, but getting a halfway decent picture of a project is even more complicated! I built a simple light tent using some PVC and an old sheet (probably not the best fabric, but I figured it made for a good proof of concept)

lighttent.jpg

View image in gallery

This is what I got out of it:

Not bad, especially if I use fabric with fewer creases. The main challenge I have is supplying enough light. I put one of those 1000W halogen building lamps above it, which did a decent job but it's not nearly enough, I'll probably need to add a second one on the side. The problem is with the color of the light, it's too warm/ yellow. I have not seen any halogen bulbs that fit these lights that are daylight temperature, so I may need to resort to a different kind of light. Any tips?

davejones

New User
Dave
If your camera has a custom setting for White Balance, you may not need a different color temp of light. You can use the white sheet under whatever type of light you are using to set the White Balance, which will basically cause the camera to adjust to make the sheet look white in the final image. The other colors should then adjust to much closer to what your eyes see.

As far as the amount of light required, it really just depends on how you are taking the pictures. If you are trying to hand-hold the camera with too long of a shutter speed you will end up with a blurry picture. The best way around this for still-life photography (which is what this is as long as your woodworking projects don't move on their own :gar-Bi) is to use a tripod. If the camera and subject are both very still the long shutter speeds won't matter. If you don't have a tripod you could use anything handy to set the camera on (table, workbench, etc). You can use a pillow or something to help cradle the camera and set the timer or use a remote to trigger the shutter (this will prevent you from moving the camera slightly when pressing the go button).

Aside from using a tripod, or makeshift tripod, you can increase your shutter speed and hand-hold the camera. One way would be to increase the intensity of light on the subject. This is probably not your problem if you have a 1000W halogen directly on the subject. More importantly will be adjusting the lighting so that it is even from all sides. That is what the sheet will help you with, by diffusing the direct light and limiting shadows. The more even you can make the light sources on each side (front, top, left, and right), the better the image you will produce (fewer shadows and more of the subject evenly lit).

Other ways of increasing your shutter speed would be to bump up your ISO setting (doubling ISO = 1/2 shutter opening time) or reduce your depth of focus (numerically lower f-stop). I would start with increasing ISO. Unless you plan to make large prints from the photos you probably won't notice too much noise in the image even up to ISO 800 for better digital cameras. The cheaper cameras will probably degrade the image quite a bit as ISO increases.

Sorry, getting long winded. You hit on one of my other hobbies. At least I have a little knowledge to share about photography, unlike woodworking! :rotflm:

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Love it! Taking good pics is something I gave up on, but this I can try.

What thread count sheet are you recommending? Cotton or synthetic blends?

Have you tried Festool's new Lithium IonIron?

Jim

Matt Furjanic

Matt
Senior User
Here's what works for me - I learned this trick from a coin dealer. Leave the flash on, but mask the flash with a piece of white bond paper. This diffuses and softens the flash and works wonders, especially on close-ups where the flash is too strong, and washes out the pic with too much light.
Matt...

SteveHall

Steve
Corporate Member
Turn off the flash to eliminate the harsh shadows around the object's edges. This means the shutter will stay open longer and increase the chance for blurring, so use a tripod and put the camera on a timer release to avoid your hand shaking the tripod (unless you have a heavy, professional tripod).

Use two lights at 90 degrees to each other with the camera in the middle. (45 degrees from each light.) This will reduce harsh shadows, but more importantly eliminate glare and reflections.

I like daylight spectrum fluorescent bulbs since they work well with natural light. Make sure you get a bulb with at least a 95 Color Rendering Index (CRI) which is basically a percentage of color accuracy compared to natural daylight. (Normal fluorescents are typically 72-85.) Most photographers would say fluorescents are too cool (especially for wood) but they give a natural, crisp look to the photographs. Turn off all other lighting, even one incandescent bulb in the distance can alter the look and ruin the control you want to be able to predict what you get each time you do it. Shutter natural lighting, too.

Then experiment with supplemental lighting color, quantity, and location. Repositioning accent and highlight lighting can make a big difference. Adding an incandescent bulb can warm up the whole thing.

Record your camera's settings like aperature, shutter speed and white balance. Turn off automatic color control features and anything else that the camera's software uses to "help" you. Record everything so you can reproduce and experiment.

Take a look at professional camera lighting. It gives you much more power even though it might cost more than a woodshop. :)

Experiment with background materials and color. A perfectly white sheet is good, but textures can be interesting. Professional backgrounds are not that expensive. Note that when you switch to anything darker, all your camera settings will change. Record all the new settings for consistency and reproducability.

Get bigger tents for larger objects. Realize that you need more lighting. Figure out that all your camera settings changed again.

Buy a better camera. Re-setup all your settings again. Record everything before deciding to upgrade your camera and lighting again. Setup again and record everything again.

Offer to photograph other woodworker's projects. Realize that you don't have the room or the money. Decide to build a dedicated studio and charge money. Get into portraits because you can charge an arm and a leg for weddings, after all, woodworkers are cheapskates. Buy another better camera right before Canon releases an even better one. Record all settings dozens of times, get half your gear stolen, get into a licensing dispute with several websites, and go broke. Go back to woodworking and try to find someone with a good camera setup that can shoot your work for you for a few beers, after all, you're a woodworker.

I think that about sums it up.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Thanks everyone! I have a pretty simple little camera ("point and shoot"), but it does have a setting for the white balance. Now I just need to take 200 pictures to figure it out. I ordered a tripod earlier this week, that I remembered from the days when I actually did a little B&W photography (with film!). I used the 2 second delay for this shot to help with the worst of the shaking, but this is a big area of improvement. I think I'll pick up a second light to put at a 90 degree angle and eliminate some of the shadows. And the masking tape on flash is also brilliant, I've seen the setup where the flash is used in one of those diffuser umbrellas, this is the cheapskate variation :)

Jeff/ James - thanks. It's quartersawn white oak from Scott S (picked up by Scott M) and walnut acquired via mr. Sawduster's connections (and picked up JimmyC). It's a true North Carolina Woodworker piece!

Steve -:rotflm: :rotflm::rotflm:

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Offer to photograph other woodworker's projects. Realize that you don't have the room or the money. Decide to build a dedicated studio and charge money. Get into portraits because you can charge an arm and a leg for weddings, after all, woodworkers are cheapskates. Buy another better camera right before Canon releases an even better one. Record all settings dozens of times, get half your gear stolen, get into a licensing dispute with several websites, and go broke. Go back to woodworking and try to find someone with a good camera setup that can shoot your work for you for a few beers, after all, you're a woodworker.

I think that about sums it up.

I hope this didn't happen to anyone we know . . . :no: :wsmile:

pete

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Cool photo tent Bas. :icon_thum Also, there are some great tips in this thread that will be really helpful. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

GFranks

New User
Gary
great ideas, I'm already thinking about making something like this, I need to get pics of my pens especially.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
First attempt:

stepstool1.jpg

View image in gallery

Second attempt - adjusted camera for light temperature, used a tripod, smoothed out the fabric, and added another light source.

stepstool_2.jpg

View image in gallery

I think there is a lot more to do in the color rendering. The second attempt is better, but somewhat cold in overall appearance. I'll see if a friend of mine can work some Photoshop magic on it.

DavidF

New User
David
I've also heard you need a very pretty girl, holding some sort of reflector, I think you need to try this........

SteveHall

Steve
Corporate Member
Check this out...

Your link illustrates a good point... the proportion of object to tent probably needs to be at least 4:1 to ensure that the light bounce is even. I noticed that Bas' stool is almost so large that the lighting is still directional. The glowing wall (left on second photo) is too close to the object. More space helps glowing walls to light the inside of other tent faces and make it more even.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS