Pen Turning Equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Other than a lathe, chisels, sharpening equipment and pen kits what are the basic things needed to start turning/making pens?

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Ok let's see... You'll need a pen turning Mandrel, a barrel trimmer, drill bits for each barrel size, sizing bearings, some sort of press to assemble the pens, CA glue or epoxy, and some finish. That's all I can remember off the top of my head. Somebody else will chime in, if I forgot something. Good luck.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Don't forget your sandpaper, including Micromesh or similar. And I would trade the pen press for a pen drill vice and use a Bessy clamp to press together the parts. But you also can make you own drill vice, it's just not as adaptable to different size blanks.
Dave:)

nelsone

New User
Ed
Here's what I started with. Mandrel and bushings fr whatever size you want to start with. Most start with a slimline, but the euro's are, IMO, a nicer pen and almost as easy. As for the pen vice, they are nice, I'm sure, but I ofter just use a couple blocks attached to a fence on my DP. Like Dave said, one of those trigger type clamps work fine to press the parts together. You will also need a bottle of CA glue to glue the tubes in. A lot of people also use the CA for the finish.

They aren't that hard, but like everything else, it takes some practice! If there is someone near you that does pens, it may be worthwhile to see if they can walk you through the first one. They are fun and it is a quick project!

Make sure to post pics of the first one!

Guy in Paradise

New User
Guy Belleman
Take a class

When I was interested in pen turning, I took a class at the local Woodcraft store. It was great and started me off on not just on a variety of pens, but pepper mills, kaleidoscopes, tops, etc.

I have come a long ways since that class, but it was a great way to get started and get the equipment I needed. Plus, when you take a class at Woodcraft, you usually get a 10% discount on anything you purchase on the day of the class.

Good luck,
Guy

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
You forgot the money needed for therapy; once you start, it's only a matter of time! Jim

P.S. grab a coulpe of books, it really helped me when I got started. J

Eric Laudenbacher

New User
Eric Laudenbacher
Personally, I like to keep 6 mandrels handy and a couple sets of bushings for each style of pen . Also steel wool for finishing.

nelsone

New User
Ed
You forgot the money needed for therapy; once you start, it's only a matter of time! Jim

P.S. grab a coulpe of books, it really helped me when I got started. J

Jim, Sssshhhhhhhhhh:eusa_shhh, isn't that part supposed to be kept secret until AFTER they have already gone down the path?:rolf:

frankson

New User
Jeff
Don't forget the fact that you'll need an assortment of wood from which to cut your blanks. At Kids Making It, in addition to donated blanks from many "NC Woodworkers", we've been fortunate to get odd pieces of wood flooring and decking material (size lends itself to a couple of easy cuts on the table saw and you're ready to go....tigerwood, ipe, cumaru, ebony).

Enjoy the addiction!!!!!!

It was good to see you the other day - take care

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
Do you really use steel wool? I've never heard that before. What kind? Do you have a pic of a pen you've used it on?
Steel wool(even0000) is much coarser than MM, about 400 grit IIRC.
Using with the lathe on can be disasterous and not a good reccomendation for someone just starting out.

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
Pretty much everyting that has been suggested will get you started.
Things that I considered important when I was starting out are not that important now and things I use now I would not have even knew existed when I Started out 3 years ago.
If I might offer a suggestion about kits.
Regardless where you get them pick out a design that you like regardless of what you may think the skill level is.
It is rather presumptous to suggest someone start with such and such a pen.
The ususal reccomendation is a slimline.Don't misunderstand me I love them, they are economical but until someone has a few pens under their belt they won't be doing any modifications and wind up with a bunch of overdone corset waisted pens because they got bored with a B2B slimline.
Size is also a consideration.
Personally I think a cigar is a good pen to start out with providing the newcomer gets a mill with different sized shafts.Making your own sleeves may be a little daunting for a first timer.
I have do reservations about suggesting a cigar because the order of the bushings can be confusing for some one who has not made a pen before.
Without a doubt get a couple of mandrels.A bad finish can ruin an other wisw nicely done pen and someone just starting out will have a tendency to rush that part of the project.
So in short, since you want to get started, start with a design you would like to turn for yourself and get it out of your system.
One more thing.
Bushings are not made of gold, they are a wear item.That is not to say you are supposed to sandthem down so the metal goes into the blank but at an average of 3-5 bucks a set for the amount of pens you will turn with them theier cost is inconsequential when ammortized over the amount of pen you will make with them,get a couple of sets when you decide on a particular design you like.
Eventually you will wind up turning your own bushings if you stick with it.
I almost forgot, with a good Google search you can find instructions for making a pen where you don't even need a lathe( and no , no whittling required)

MikeH

New User
Mike
Steel wool(even0000) is much coarser than MM, about 400 grit IIRC.
Using with the lathe on can be disasterous and not a good reccomendation for someone just starting out.

I personally would never use steel wool. I was just curious about it. Seems like a recipe for trouble.

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Thanks for all the info.

Now for some dumb questions.....

Are there different size mandrels, drill bits and bushings for different types of pens?

How about barrel trimmers? Do you need different sizes for different pens?

What grit of micromesh is used?

Nelsone, you mentioned a couple of blocks attached to the drillpress fence for a drill press...can you explain this or have photos?

Jim, I'm already enrolled in therapy.....it is called woodworking. It is addictive and expensive.....but what the heck we are helping the economy. :lol: :lol:

Frank, I have already started cutting some pen blanks out of some walnut, cherry and mahogney scraps. Something to practice on. :eusa_danc

I pick up the GW lathe from David on Saturday and take the Woodcraft Pen Turning 101 class on Sunday and will probably increase Toms' bottom line while I am there. Then the following week be ready to try the lathe out.

Last edited:

nelsone

New User
Ed
Thanks for all the info.

Now for some dumb questions.....

Are there different size mandrels, drill bits and bushings for different types of pens? Yes

How about barrel trimmers? Do you need different sizes for different pens? Yes

What grit of micromesh is used? I haven't used any yet, but I think they go up to 12,000

Nelsone, you mentioned a couple of blocks attached to the drillpress fence for a drill press...can you explain this or have photos? I'll see if I can get you a pic in a little bit!

Jim, I'm already enrolled in therapy.....it is called woodworking. It is addictive and expensive.....but what the heck we are helping the economy. :lol: :lol: That's the attitude! :rolf:

Frank, I have already started cutting some pen blanks out of some walnut, cherry and mahogney scraps. Something to practice on. :eusa_danc You will never be able to throw out scraps again!

I pick up the GW lathe from Frank on Saturday and take the Woodcraft Pen Turning 101 class on Sunday and will probably increase Toms' bottom line while I am there. Then the following week be ready to try the lathe out. That should get you down the right path!:icon_thum

You're gonna have fun with this!

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
splinter said:
I pick up the GW lathe from Frank on Saturday and take the Woodcraft Pen Turning 101 class on Sunday and will probably increase Toms' bottom line while I am there. Then the following week be ready to try the lathe out.

What???? NO PICS?!?

nelsone

New User
Ed
Here's the pic of how I drill my blanks. All you need to do is hold it straight and square!

IMG_0079.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS