pen supplies

Status
Not open for further replies.

kclark

New User
Kevin
I got my new lathe setup and bought the HF Chisels. What are all of the pen supplies I need to go pickup to get started. Any suggestions on where to find them as well. Thanks.

I have turned a couple of scrap pieces of wood and I am gaining confidence.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Kevin

One of the major requirements for pen turning will be a mandrel. Determine if you need a morse taper #1 or #2.

Buy Professional Pen Turning Mandrel 2 MT at Woodcraft

Then. All you need to pick up are some pen kits, pen blanks, sand paper/micromesh and finishing supplies.

Penn State Industries as well as Woodcraft have a pretty good supply of various kit styles and blanks.

Penn State Industries | Pen Turning | Pen Kits | Dust Collector

Oh ya. Depending on the kit you decide on you will also need the required drill bits and bushings.

Have a look over on Youtube for some great demo's.

Good luck and pen turning can get pretty addictive!:gar-Bi

Wayne

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
When you get your mandrel, let me know and I'll give you a handful of blanks. I've got some that I haven't used up yet and just cut a bunch of spalted maple that you have some of, may want to let them dry a little longer. If you need help I'm just down the road in davidson and would be happy to [STRIKE]Push[/STRIKE] help you down the slippery slope.... Although your pretty much there already...

PChristy

New User
Phillip
rcflyer - have you turned any pens out of that spalted maple yet or made anything out of it

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
rcflyer - have you turned any pens out of that spalted maple yet or made anything out of it

Yep.. I'm working on a Pie Safe Right now and the panels are made from the spalted maple. It's looking great.. Thanks... for that as well again. :)

kclark

New User
Kevin
When you get your mandrel, let me know and I'll give you a handful of blanks. I've got some that I haven't used up yet and just cut a bunch of spalted maple that you have some of, may want to let them dry a little longer. If you need help I'm just down the road in davidson and would be happy to [STRIKE]Push[/STRIKE] help you down the slippery slope.... Although your pretty much there already...

I will have to take you up on that.

Don Alexander

New User
Don
do yourself a big favor and don't waste your money on PSI's drill bits or their pen blanks packs

almost every one of their drill bits that they have included with their pen kits has been wobbly , dull or both results not good and the pen blank packs they include with their starter kits are not only extremely plain, but worse they aren't matched up at all so if you use them on 2 tube pens getting a decent match requires a serious sorting job and then its iffy i have most of the ones i got with a starter pack left as i quickly decided that it was hopeless to get top and bottom tubes to match adequately

the Woodriver pen drilling bits at Woodcraft have been good quality and hold up pretty decently

if you ever get to Raleigh i could hook you up with enough pen blanks to keep you turning pens for quite awhile just shoot me a pm if interested

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
I will have to take you up on that.

Yeah just let me know. The spalted maple that I've cut up into pen blanks is drying right now. I need to get a moisture meter and check them they were from a tree that was in my in-laws yard. I have a few other chunks of it and will be cutting some of it into bowl and pen blanks depending on what I can get out of it. Gotta get a good chainsaw or band saw first. :)

jtdums

New User
Jim
I will second the stay away from PSI.
I ordered slimline pen kits from them that ended up being poorly cast and the clips were all a bear to put together.
Craft supplies or Packard also both seem to have quality products.
Start with the inexpensive slimline pens and the 7mm set up. (drill bit, bushing, squaring tool, mandrel with correct mt size, thick CA glue, small bottle of friction polish, sand paper) Order a couple of extra 7mm tubes for mistakes too.
Friction polish isn't the best choice for durability, but it will get you a nice finish quickly on these first pens.
Pens can be easily pressed together with a good quality clamp with no problem.

Eric Laudenbacher

New User
Eric Laudenbacher
I have some pen blanks if you need any more. If your up near Winson Salem, stop by. Also if you are ordering from Penn State, go to www.woodturningz.com, the carry the same stuff, the pen kits are less expensive, the shipping is quicker and cheaper.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I will 2nd what Eric said. Woodturningz is a PSI reseller but they beat PSI's prices on everything.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Bereahardwoods has been good for me in the past. I believe Woodcraft has a pen related discount on right now. Something like 15%.

rsaucedo

New User
Ras
I like Berea kits too. I believe if you by 10 (of the same model but ask about mix-n-match) you get a 20% discount. check that out. Another thing I like to do if you buy all slim line kits and some extra tubes is I put Euro Style tubes on the Slim Line kits and they look better IMO.

Same topic different issue, has anyone tried one of the stabilizing services around for pen blanks? I really like turning stabilized pen blanks but they are rather expensive at a retailer.

Those spalted maple blanks may look great stabilized.

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
IAP Home

is a pretty good site and they have some pretty decent deals in their classifieds section. I've got so many kits and blanks that I don't need because of it. :embaresse

I also want to recommend buying higher end drill bits. I bought a colt replacement from woodcraft and the difference was amazing.

Eric Laudenbacher

New User
Eric Laudenbacher
I just happened across some Wood Juice that was on clearance @ Woodcraft...75% off of $55.00 :eusa_danc, and have been stabalizing Eucalyptus, spalted maple, buckeye burl and a few others over the past few weeks and I have used over a half gallon. If you can find any, it is worth the money.

kclark

New User
Kevin
S%*T, I picked up a mandrel today, bushings, sandpaper, drill bits, blanks, and kit. I didn't get a barrel trimmer. Is there something else that I can use for this without driving back to woodcraft?

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
S%*T, I picked up a mandrel today, bushings, sandpaper, drill bits, blanks, and kit. I didn't get a barrel trimmer. Is there something else that I can use for this without driving back to woodcraft?

Don't you love it when you to that? If you have a disc sander you can square them up on that. Just stop once the brass is shiny.

You can borrow mine if you are itching to get started now. It's probably a little dull but it usable or you can glue your blanks up and we can trim them at my shop. Eitherway.

sawduster

New User
Robert
I primarily use Craft Supplies USA and woodturningz . woodturningz went through a stretch there when a lot of what they shipped to me was junk :tongue2: They made it good ( their cust serv is awesome ) but I got tired of waiting twice as long to do something . Craft Supplies USA has affordable kits called " apprentice " that i use a lot . The few issues I have had with them have been handled nicely as well. Can't go wrong with either company in my book :eusa_danc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors