Paper Bag Drying Green Stock Article.

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

McRabbet

Matt -- I'm not a turner, but this one is worthy of being added to our Link Library. I suggest you add it to the Wood Turning and Carving category. Let me know if you get stumped... Once it is submitted, we'll look at it to validate the site.

BobcatBob

New User
Bob
Interesting article. I liked the idea of using Tyvec as bags instead of paper bags. I have some extra Tyvek material when I built my workshop so I am going to give it a try.

Bob

Dusty Sawyer

New User
David
I tried this technique about one year ago. I had a large Tulip Poplar stump that I had roughed into a 21" blank and had read an article about this process. I tend to disagree with the tyvek concept though as the idea is to slow the drying process, not hold the water in entirely. The paper bag allows for a non water-tight barrier for the moisture to travel though.

I didn't have any big hurry to get the blank finished, so I bypassed weighing it and all that mess to determine the water content and just kept it bagged with chips for 3 months, then again without chips for another 3 months. After that I tore a small hole in the bag and let it sit until I pulled it out 6 months later and turned it.

The blank had not cracked at all even though it showed the warping associated with significant drying. Although it took a while it was well worth the effort. Since that time I've taken care to turn circular blanks (what I call "Cheese Wheels") ahead of time and seal the ends. Then after turning my bowl blanks I use the bag method. It works really good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS