OSAGE ORANGE whereabouts (rough or cut)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Truefire

New User
Chris
Does any of you guys know where I could possibly find some osage orange wood or have one that you would be willing to allow me to obtain some limbs off of it. Or do you possibly know where some trees are that I could cut one down? I would really like to have some. Please help me out.
I have looked everywhere for some. I have a buddy of mine that lives down the road and he found some years ago but the source has ran out. Any thing you can do for me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Chris:BangHead:

cskipper

Cathy
It would be helpful to know what you are going to use it for so folks know what size of wood you need.

Truefire

New User
Chris
I need pieces approximately 2" in diameter or maybe a touch smaller and approximately 54-60 inches in length. I will be making recurve bows out of it. Just like the old Osage indians. Hmm? Anyway, I will also be using it to make duck calls. So blanks of the "Bois De Arc" 1.5" x 1.5" x 6-8" would work perfect. I would also like other sizes as well for various projects. Thanks. Chris

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I just bought some turning blanks from Klingspor, not long enough for the bows, but great for several calls.
You might check with CSUSA, Hut, Arizonia Siloutette, and some of the other turning kit companies. I am sure that you could get the call blanks on-line. The Bow stock is gonna be tough to find.
Dave:)

Nice Figures

New User
Sharon Barrett & Paula LaBelle
If you get down to the coast (Salter Path) we have a few pieces, duck call size but not long pieces....

dtomasch

New User
David
i've got kd pieces appx 1x1 about 6ft long. it's a shame, i ripped a board that was 6'' for tomato stakes because i was sick of tripping over it. let me know if it will be of any use to you

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
What timing, if any of you live within the Charlotte Observers distribution zone check out the front page for this article, there is a picture in the paper. For some reason the picture isn't online. Some of the article is below and here is a link to the full version. What a sad mistake.

STATE CHAMPION OSAGE-ORANGE IN EASTERN MECKLENBURG

Beloved old tree falls victim to fireworks fire

BRUCE HENDERSON

bhenderson@charlotteobserver.com

For untold decades it survived amid eastern Mecklenburg County farm fields and, later, subdivisions.
But the state-champion Osage-orange tree, which measured 24 feet around its trunk, couldn't escape illegal July Fourth fireworks.
Members of the farm family that once owned the tree believe it was 200 years old or more, nearly matching their 11 generations in that corner of Mecklenburg. "I never remember anybody saying it wasn't here," said Ed Hodges, whose mother sold the land about five years ago.
The old tree didn't go quietly.
It and a smaller cousin stood in a common area of the Buckleigh subdivision near Reedy Creek Park. Some neighborhood people lit fireworks Tuesday night, residents say. (It's against state law to shoot fireworks into the air without a permit.)
Fire officials say a stray pyrotechnic apparently landed in the old tree's hollow trunk, which had been split by a lightning strike 40 years ago. Newell volunteer firefighters turned out after 3 a.m. Wednesday to douse it, and again at 5:30 a.m. when it rekindled.
But Osage-orange burns fiercely, and 10,000 gallons of water couldn't stop the fire that crept up hollow spaces as if they were chimneys.

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
yep.. you have to take a draw knife or a froe and split where the grain wants to separate. You can use strip of qsawn wood, but you have to laminate which can be a pain.

A true single piece longbow requires a truly superb piece of clean wood and can be really expensive.

the best wood is English Yew.

Truefire

New User
Chris
Gentleman, thanks a million for all of your efforts in responding. I appreciate the input of the various turning blanks websites. I will surely visit those. As for those of you that have the scrap portions, if you can email or private message regarding same, I would like to make arrangements to pay someone for the shipment and purchase of the blanks. Approximately 1.5" x 1.5" X 6-8" will work great :)

In regards to the bowmaking I will post pictures when I finish with one of the recurves. I am hoping I can find a nice size black snake soon. I am going to skin and flesh him out and that will be on the face of the bow's limbs. I hate to harvest one of those just for that purpose but how else would I obtain it . Anyway, Take care gentlemen.

And once again, thanks. Chris

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
copperhead would look better than a blacksnake. I leave the blacksnakes and kingsnakes alone..they eat rats and other bad snakes..(copperheads)

Truefire

New User
Chris
Hey fellows in reference to the copperhead snake skin if one of you by chance decide to kill one and save the skin yes sir, that will work nicely. I mentioned black snake because I will actually hunt for them I can't say the same about the copperhead. Different story if I run up on him I'll do what I have to do but I am not simply going out hunting with the intent to find him. HMM. Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors