Opinions on Flexcut Carving Tool Sharpening Kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
This is on my wishlist for Hartville tool.
http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/11755
Any feedback? I have a very limited carving set. This is not something I'm planning to get into in a big way but when I need to do it I would like for the tools to be sharp and they're not. I can use my Worksharp for the flat and outside edges but need to dress the inside surfaces. The other option is a set of Norton Mulltiform Slipstones but they cost a lot more than I feel like investing.
Thanks!

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I use various size dowels to fit the tool in use and various sandpapers according to the dullness of the blade. Find the dowel that fits the tool and wrap the paper around it to grind the edge. Work through the papers to at least 800 grit then the leather hone will maintain the edge while you work.

You can make your own honing board to fit the tools you use most. That one they sell will only fit a few sizes of carving tools.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I have that kit and I consider it a companion item to the FlexCut palm set and not a general purpose honing tool, if that makes sense. The profiles fit their tools exactly and it is small, meaning you need to do short controlled strokes on it. I guess you could sharpen larger tools, but it would not be my first choice. I do like the FlexCut Gold polishing compound that comes with it for other uses. It may be cosmetic, but it does mirror polish better than any other abrasive I have used.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Thanks Pete, Mike and Andy for your feedback. I went ahead and ordered the kit hoping that the smaller Japanese set I have will be close. I also ordered medium and fine Norton Multiform Superslip stones. Hartsville's discount makes it hard to pass up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS