Open Segment turning

Status
Not open for further replies.

erasmussen

RAS
Corporate Member
I had to try open segment turning.
Not to bad after I got a index wheel and gluing jig made.
Next time I need yo make the open spaces larger, But I think its good for a first try :tinysmile_tongue_t:
I also need to make a few improvements in my jig and index wheel.
But over all I am going to call it a success :icon_chee

segment2.jpg

segment.jpg

glue up jig
glueup_jig.jpg

and index wheel
index_wheel.jpg

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Dang Earl, there's holes in your bowl :eek:. It won't hold soup (unless it's Chunky)...so we'll have to call it art.
That's awesome :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap I understand how the jig is used for spacing, but how did you clamp the individual segments to the ring below??

I like your light set up, I've done the same thing on my HF lathe :icon_thum

Dave:)

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Dude that's AWESOME!!

I'd love to see a time lapsed photo sequence of the assembly.

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Next time I can take more pictures and show how I do it (that dont mean its the only way just how I do it) :gar-Bi

That would be awesome! I'm sure there are several different ways to do it, just like cutting a mortise. But it sure is nice to see one way that works, gives one enough motivation to try it.

Glennbear

Glenn
Fascinating work with great results Earl :eusa_clap Since I am a rookie turner, I cannot help but see many openings waiting to catch my gouge and create a segment explosion :swoon: I envy your lathe skills :wsmile:

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Earl that is great work.
one of those 'don't see THAT very often' pieces for sure!
Never tried one myself. Lacking in the patience and knowledge to make the blank I suppose.
How was it to turn? I guess mostly I'm thinking balance... how about catches on the interior... did you 'hollow' or shape or what on the inside... almost more thinking aloud than asking questions.

Anyhow very nice piece. Keep up the great work.:icon_chee

erasmussen

RAS
Corporate Member
Earl that is great work.
one of those 'don't see THAT very often' pieces for sure!
Never tried one myself. Lacking in the patience and knowledge to make the blank I suppose.
How was it to turn? I guess mostly I'm thinking balance... how about catches on the interior... did you 'hollow' or shape or what on the inside... almost more thinking aloud than asking questions.

Anyhow very nice piece. Keep up the great work.:icon_chee

I glued 2 rows, then turned the inside of the first row, glued the third row and turned the inside of the second row, working my way up, used a oland tool 3/16 with a finger nail grind and keeping it very sharp.
After finishing the inside, i turned the outside, starting at the top going down for strength reasons.

J

jeff...

Earl is getting way closer than anyone else around here on turning a finished product that's square - the excitement is building :nah: not yet :gar-La;

Kdub

New User
Kurt
that is a very nice piece! one question though, superglue? maybe everyone else already knows the answer.
kurt

BobcatBob

New User
Bob
Simply amazing. I wouldn't even know where to begin. I guess that is why you are "the master". :icon_chee

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
:dontknow::help::eusa_doh::icon_scra:eusa_thin. Nuff said. Dude, that is amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS