Oh the Frustrations, but what fun when it works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member
Since trying my hand at the Goodwill Lathe one thing that has definitely happened is the frequent utterance of many words in the shop that just can not be repeated on this site.:gar-La; I'll be cruising along thinking all is going well, then wham, a bad catch, followed by the piece being flung across the shop. That is me throwing it across the shop, sometimes after the lathe threw it the first time, especially when the catch caused the bottle stopper mandrel to break the other day, and ruin the last piece of rosewood I had. :cry_smile

But when the piece turns out good I tend to forget and fall in love again, especially when someone, like the LOML, tells me it looks great. She definitely knows how to stroke my ego. Here's a few Christmas ornaments for the misses I did Thurs. and Fri. They're maple, cherry and walnut out of the shorts bin at The Hardwood Store. I am sure it has been done before, but a paper clip did a great job of drilling the small hole for the eyelets. They were cut off of small fishhooks

Christmas_Ornaments_009.jpg

On the plus side she did ask me a couple of weeks back how much we could get a lathe for. :widea: On the bad side I drug my feet a little instead of jumping on the one posted in our classifieds last week and let it get away:eusa_booh

jpr28056

New User
Joe
I feel your frustration. Or should I say the little finger on my left hand feels it when the piece I was working on today came flying off and smacked it pretty good.

Nice shine on those tops.

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
On the plus side she did ask me a couple of weeks back how much we could get a lathe for. :widea: On the bad side I drug my feet a little instead of jumping on the one posted in our classifieds last week and let it get away:eusa_booh

Looking good! I've heard rumors that ScottM might have a lathe he'll need to sell soon... might be worth a quick pm....

Travis

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Bryan, aside from technique, one question, are you keeping your tools sharp enough? I dull edge is a lot more likely to catch than a sharp one. The one you took pics of look great! Bring to the picnic and shown them off!

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Those turned out great Bryan! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap I think we all know how you feel too. Turning can be the most joyful experience or the most frustrating. You can leave the shop feeling like you conquered the world or the world conquered you. Best thing to do is to not let failure get you bogged down. If you're really trying to learn something but can't seem to get it, post it on here and people are always ready to help. Maybe even find somebody near you that can help you out in person. That's what really got me off and running. :icon_thum

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member
Bryan, aside from technique, one question, are you keeping your tools sharp enough? I dull edge is a lot more likely to catch than a sharp one. The one you took pics of look great! Bring to the picnic and shown them off!

Sharpening has not been my strong suit so far but I think it's more my technique or lack of. Unfortunately I have to work the weekend of the picnic and will not be there

Those turned out great Bryan! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap I think we all know how you feel too. Turning can be the most joyful experience or the most frustrating. You can leave the shop feeling like you conquered the world or the world conquered you. Best thing to do is to not let failure get you bogged down. If you're really trying to learn something but can't seem to get it, post it on here and people are always ready to help. Maybe even find somebody near you that can help you out in person. That's what really got me off and running. :icon_thum

Thanks Trent I have not asked any questions here, but should have. I have thought about asking for a little personal instruction and I'm sure someone here fairly close by would have helped but with all the papers I have had to write for school the few free hours I have had have been playing in the shop. The day will come though

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
I'm by no means an "expert" turner, but if you'd like to stop by, I'd be happy to show you what I know. I know we're not exactly neighbors, but if you'd like to go for a little spin one day, I'd be happy to help. :icon_thum

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Hey Bryan... I'm just up the road in Hillsborough. Bring your tools and I'll sharpen them for you and help out however I can. I'm in the shop most weekends ...so holler if you have some time.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Nice job on the ornaments! :icon_thum

Early on, one thing I was bad about was being too tentative. I am not encouraging reckless agressiveness by any means but there are some cuts that will become catches if you let the workpiece have its way with the tool instead of the other way around. Don't let the handle pop up (the blade go down) too easily. Changes in grain pattern or knots or whatever will cause an increase in resistance to the cut sometimes. It is tricky to know when to bear down and and when to back off. Also, always cut "downhill" - don't climb into the grain. I switch hit, changing which hand is at the top and which is at the bottom, depending on which direction I am cutting in so that I never cross my arms. I find I get more control and less catches that way. But not everyone does that, so take it with a grain of salt - something you might try.

Jim Wallace

jimwallacewoodturning.com
Jim
Corporate Member
Brian,

I see that you are in Burlington. My brother Bill and I teach a class in woodturning at the Broad Street Center. (It's a continuing education class offered through ACC.) There are two sessions - Wednesday 3 to 6 pm and Wednesday 7 to 10 pm. We are in the basement. You enter through the back door. We have only two classes left this spring (5-5 and 5-12), but we start again in September. You can call ACC for details.

Even though it's too late to get much out of it this Spring we'd be glad to have you stop by and visit the class. It's a very congenial bunch of guys. You'll feel right at home.

Hope to see you.

Jim Wallace

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS