New to North Carolina

Status
Not open for further replies.

lottathought

New User
Michael
Welcome...
One thing you will notice about living here is that you no longer need a spatula to pry your frozen backside off a seat in the winter..:-D

Jon

New User
Jon Todd
I wanted to welcome you and we are all Glad you made it to ncwwoodworker.net. Thats a very nice looking canoe.

I would love to know the steps in making one.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
But when do you use all y'all ?

Jimmy

Larry, welcome to NC and ncwoodworker. This is the best group of people when it comes to sharing the joy of making sawdust. Despite being a furriner, let me just expand on what Mike said...

y'all is singular.
y'alls is plural.
y'alls alls is plural possessive (as in y'alls alls 'maters are bigger than these here 'maters)

Rustic furniture - what's that, a sofa on blocks in the front yard?

Bas.

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member
Larty welcome to the site and the state. There's a great group of folks here and always willing to lend a hand and share their knowledge. You definately need to try and make one of the upcoming gatherings, while I cant make the Klingspor gathering I'm hoping to make the gathering at Mike Davis's. I've not been to his house but he's in one of the nicest areas of this part of the state.

One more "Hey y'all whatch this"

Def- A phrase uttered by an idividual about to do someting that precedes a 911 call requiring a trip by ambulance to some large medical facility for emergency medical treatment.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Welcome to NCWWer Larry!
Beautiful canoe :icon_thum

My woodworking skills are limited, but as an NC native I can assist with breaking the cultural barriers. :-D Pro sports are a recent addition to the Tar Heel state. So pick a college team with the right shade of blue and you'll be ok. And don't worry about "ya'll" . . . "youn's" is equally acceptable and more versatile :lol:

Looking forward to your input,
Roger

Eric Laudenbacher

New User
Eric Laudenbacher
Welcome to North Cackalackee. Being a former Yankee from the Buckeye State, I'm still learning the lingo.:lol:
Since I live in Greensboro , you're welcome to use my small shop if you need to throw anything together, until you get yours together.

erasmussen

New User
RAS
Welcome
Thats a beautiful boat
and some intersting Rustic furniture, but I always thought Rustic furniture was 2x6's placed across some cinder blocks:roll:

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Welcome to great merry band of wood workers (or butcherer in my case).

Another phrase you will run across is "Y'Hear?" (pronounced "Y'Heh") It is usually appended to the end of a sentence. Translate it as "No bulls**t". For instance: "Y'All come back now" is standard Southern hospitality. "Y'All come back now, Y'Hear?" means that you left a good tip and the waitress Really wants you to come back again.:-D:-D

You come on back to this forum, y'heh?

Go

lnelson

New User
Larry
There is a great book called Canoecraft by Ted Moores that is a pretty good step-by-step guide to building a boat. Therewise there are some great websites and chatlines for people building or interested in building. I had a bunch of questions and there was always someone eager to help with good information. I bought plans from Newfound Woodworks up in the NE and they were pretty good with support. I know that they sold kits as well but I opted for getting my own wood. Great clear white cedar can be found in the UP of Michigan. They set up mills right back in the woods. If you start down the path, I would be happy to offer any advice I can.

Regards,

Larry

lnelson

New User
Larry
Thanks for the welcome! Yes, as a matter of fact, I have a fair amount of Frozen Tundra Boxes in the freezer. Came with official certificate of authenticy, the whole shot. We were in line for three hours to buy $10 blocks of dirt. We of course bought 20 boxes. Only in Green Bay!

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Also remember many words from up north are two syllable down here. For example, hair, is pronounce ha-air. I am still trying to break my 4 year old from saying it that way. Additionally, some syllables are skipped. Saturday becomes Sarday. That is one my wife gives me grief about.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
I'm from Johnston county and all you have to to is cross Rt. 95, towards Goldsboro, and you find the locals speaking a pretty strange language:roll:.

Jimmy

go to the Lumberton area for a true education in STRANGE sounding English

J

jeff...

Thanks for the welcome! Yes, as a matter of fact, I have a fair amount of Frozen Tundra Boxes in the freezer. Came with official certificate of authenticy, the whole shot. We were in line for three hours to buy $10 blocks of dirt. We of course bought 20 boxes. Only in Green Bay!

Hey Larry - just one question - why? Why would you stand in line for 3 hours freezing your you know what off, to pay 10.00 for small box of dirt? Not just one box mind you, but 20 boxes - this my friend is a marketing mystery, I would really like to solve :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS