New to North Carolina

Status
Not open for further replies.

lnelson

New User
Larry
Hello to all,

My name is Larry Nelson and I am a recent transplant from Wisconsin. I have been a woodworker for about 25 years. Woodworking for me is a hobby only, but a hobby that I very much enjoy. I have done a lot of traditional woodworking such as furniture, cabinets and such. Lately, I am playing around with some different things. I recently built a cedar strip canoe. It turned out pretty good and if I can figure out how to do it, I will post some pictures. Now that the boat is done, I am working on hand-made paddles. I have also been fooling around with rustic furniture building. In northern Wisconsin there is a fair amount of beaver-chewed wood to be found and I made a few furniture pieces out of that.

My serious woodworking is on hold for a year or two as the house we are in does not have adequate space to set up my entire shop. Canoe paddles will have to fill my need for making sawdust for awhile.

In addition to woodworking, I enjoy wilderness camping, bird hunting with my hunting buddy Bomber, spending time with family members, and cheering for the Green Bay Packers!!!!!!!

I am looking forward to meeting (even if only online) the fellow members. If there are any boat builders or rustic furniture folks out there, it would be good to connect and compare notes.

Attachments

• done6.jpg
    done6.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 192
  • done4.jpg
    done4.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 189
  • stand2.jpg
    stand2.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 183
  • table2a.jpg
    table2a.jpg
    240.7 KB · Views: 180

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Welcome Larry, thanks for the great intro and excellent pictures. I am glad that you could join us, and look forward to your input in the forums. I don't make rustic furniture but have always wanted to try my hand at it. I have been seriously eying a Vertas log tenon cutter to get me started.
Dave:)

J

jeff...

In addition to woodworking, I enjoy wilderness camping, bird hunting with my hunting buddy Bomber, spending time with family members, and cheering for the Green Bay Packers!!!!!!!

I feel something brewing, seeing I used to be what ya'll in Wisconsin call a FIP and even worse a Bears fan. Packers :roll:, I hope you left your cheese wedge in Wisconsin :slap:. Please tell me your not one of those who paid 10k for a few blades of grass of limbo field.:lol:

Seriously, welcome to the southern part of the United States of America and NCWoodworker.com

Couple of pointers being a transplant myself 8 years ago:

There is no such thing as an acceleration ramp to get on the Hi-way - just mash your foot on the gas, don't use your blinker, drive slow in the fast lane, smile and wave at everyone and don't honk your horn less you want to draw attention to yourself and get evil looks from everyone. You can say whatever you want about a person as long as you end your sentence with a sincere God Bless his / her soul. Learn to like greens, fried cornbread, okra and sweet tea, it's great. Look out for those nasty things in pickle jars, yes they taste as bad as they look. You'll, You all and all you all mean the same thing. If someone calls you Bo, just smile and wave, it's not fighting words. Street is pronounce Skreet so when asking for directions expect it and no they are not asking you to shoot skeet.

Thanks

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site. We get together quite a bit. See if you can't make one of our get togethers. I know we meet once a year for a spring cookout. We meet in October at the Klingspor woodworking festival in Hickory. And we meet as often as Jeff will bring us wood to the Harbor Freight parking lot.

Ps.. .what's a Green Bay Packer? :eusa_thin

J

jeff...

Oh and above all when you meet a true native and you can't understand what they are saying, NEVER ask them to repeat what they just said , it's rude !!! Remember you moved here and they are the native. Just grab your chin and answer "let'me dwell on that a spell". As you piece together in your mind what was just said, the southern side of your brain will take over and it will all make sense. Just tell yourself I'm no longer a cheese head, I'm south of the mason-dixon now. You may have to fight a bit with the Yankee side of your brain, but with enough practice, soon enough, you'll be understanding and chew'in da fat wit da Bo's. :-D

Robert Arrowood

New User
Robert Arrowood
WELCOME! EM sure are som good lookin pictures ya got tare.:lol::lol:

I've wanted to do the rustic furniture myself. I want to try ceder.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Welcome Cheesehead, I have a friend down here from Wisconsin ( Green Bay area actually) and when he's thirsty he goes to get a drink of water from the bubbler, that cracks me up every time:lol::lol:.

Anyway, welcome again and don't be afraid to join in.

Jimmy

J

jeff...

Welcome Cheesehead, I have a friend down here from Wisconsin ( Green Bay area actually) and when he's thirsty he goes to get a drink of water from the bubbler, that cracks me up every time:lol::lol:.

Anyway, welcome again and don't be afraid to join in.

Jimmy

Bubbler, haven't heard that for ages :lol:. Took me a good long time to figure out what a man does when he says "gotta go talk to a man bout a dog", Hint: Don't ask to see the dog :roll:

J

jeff...

Leave to an ex-yankee to get it wrong! :slap:

Y'all means you

All y'all means you and everybody with you.

Yer Aunt an'em means your extended family.

Please explain, "see y'all later" or "hay y'all" - I think it's plural in those phrases isn't it?

Sons friend just left, he was talking to me about his fathers domlee (spelling ?), all along I thought he was talking about a 4-wheeler. Come to find out it's a speedboat with a 6pack 454 Chevy motor. Boy did I feel stupid :slap:

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
I might could explain everything to him, and I might would explain it if I only could understand this southern language. Please explain to me how "might would" or "might could" is proper language anywhere other than NC.
:eusa_thin:eusa_thin
Jimmy

jeeves

New User
dwight
Welcome! You could not have found a better woodworking site anywhere. The the members could not be more helpful. Dwight

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Larry: Welcome to "God's Country" and the site. Best bunch of folks on here that I've ever had the privilege of knowing. That's a beautiful boat. Some of those old boys down east make strip boats for bream fishing. You should hook up with them. Good looking rustic stuff too.

nelsone

New User
Ed
From one Nelson to another, Welcome! Don't let the linguistics lesson scare you away! You'll figure it out! That is a beautiful canoe you built. I like the rustic furniture too!

dick541

New User
dick cunningham
Welcome to a great group of nuts, they all forgot to invite you to the next BBQ meet on October 20 right up the road near Mt airy. at Mikes place.
dick

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Larry,

Welcome to the group and glad you took me up on the invitation!

Larry and I met this morning and I can vouch for the beauty of that canoe in his garage and the nice stack of lumber he has for sale. Unfortunately his 2 y/o son's only words are "Go Packers". We'll need to change that to "Go Panthers" soon. Shouldn't be a hard transition:lol:.

Mark

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Larry, welcome to NC and ncwoodworker. This is the best group of people when it comes to sharing the joy of making sawdust. Despite being a furriner, let me just expand on what Mike said...

y'all is singular.
y'alls is plural.
y'alls alls is plural possessive (as in y'alls alls 'maters are bigger than these here 'maters)

Rustic furniture - what's that, a sofa on blocks in the front yard?

Bas.

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Welcome to the group Larry. You'll find some aweful nice folks here no matter where they're from :lol:.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS