New Router Table Started (Updated PICS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

blazeman45

Steve
Senior User
My old router table served me well for the last 10-12 years but I wanted a new one that allowed mobility. I decided this week to get it started... I built it from Birch plywood and Poplar (I'm frugal... Wife says cheap:gar-La;)

RT_Front.JPG

View image in gallery

I wanted bit trays I could take out easily yet hold plenty... Holds 96 total allowing for 1/4" and 1/2" bits.

The tray slides were a simple design I got from Woodcraft magazine.

I put a heavy duty drawer in the bottom with 100# full extension KV slides and a tray for small things.

I still have to put in the switch / plug and put the DC connection on the back. I am going to try and start the top next week.

You can see the old table in the back ground... I am giving it to a friend who is just getting started. And that is my best friend to the right side of the pic... My two year old puppy Jake!
RT_Back.JPG

View image in gallery

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Re: New Router Table Started

Very nice. :icon_thum

Looks like a variation on the NYW design. I like your interpretation better.

MIKE NOAH

New User
Mike

Looks great to me! Like Mark, I really like some of the features on yours that I don't normally see on other router table cabinets.
Mike

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member

Steve, that's a great compliment to the roll around work table pictured in your gallery. :icon_thum

Bill

Glennbear

Glenn

Nicely done Steve :icon_thum I see some design features I should have included in mine. What are you using for a top ? Please post more pics when you are done. :wsmile:

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member

Nifty design there, Steve!:icon_thum:icon_thum

Betcha it weigh will weigh a bit once all stocked with bits, routers and a the top. (Those casters you selected will have it an "easy roll" when necessary.)

Hoping you will share some more photo's when the top and fence are completed.

A very nice addition to any shop!

Thanks for sharing.

Wayne

blazeman45

Steve
Senior User

Thanks for the compliments guys... I am planning on a simple top design... MDF with poplar edging. Gonna have incra tracks and a fence with removable inserts. I'll post more as I get under way.

Tim Sherwood

Tim
Corporate Member

I just showed this to my wife. She said ,gee that's a nice looking TV cabinet! Nice complement....

I guess that is a back-handed comment on MY router table too.

JimD

Jim
Senior User

Looks great! Mine is similar and I have a home-made lift on the back of the router compartment. The top is hinged so I just flip it up to change bits. My top is a piece of sink cut-out backed by 3/4 plywood and rimmed with maple. You might check around to see if anybody has a sink cut out they will give you or sell you cheap. I think I paid $5 or something like that. They are high density particle board with formica on top. Nice and durable (and cheap).

Jim

Reticle

New User
Brian

I don't know exactly what your definition of Frugal is, but I was able to get a local company that does granite countertops to make me a router table top for under $100. They were able to use a scrap from a kitchen sink cutout (apparently a VERY large sink). I only had them do a cutout for the router plate which saved a few bucks as well. I just framed it with Bosch FMS and built a fence.

2010-12-19160413.jpg

pviser

New User
paul

You've done a beautiful job. I like the trays which ride on the top level of your deep drawers.

richlife

New User
Rich

That's a great cabinet, and a basic top is all you really need (I like the granite idea -- but don't drop a bit on it!).

I would make your top replaceable. Go to the Fine Woodworking archives and search for router tables. You'll find some great ideas for simple to elaborate, even precise, tables. I know the one I want to build is tremendously adaptable including adjustment for as table top and side table use. It's also wonderfully adjustable in critical increments for precision work. I don't have the time to look it up right now, but if you're interested, Steve, let me know and I'll find you the exact reference.

Rich

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member

That's a great cabinet, and a basic top is all you really need (I like the granite idea -- but don't drop a bit on it!).

I would make your top replaceable. Go to the Fine Woodworking archives and search for router tables. You'll find some great ideas for simple to elaborate, even precise, tables. I know the one I want to build is tremendously adaptable including adjustment for as table top and side table use. It's also wonderfully adjustable in critical increments for precision work. I don't have the time to look it up right now, but if you're interested, Steve, let me know and I'll find you the exact reference.

Rich

I can't speak for Steve, but I am definitely interested! :wsmile:

blazeman45

Steve
Senior User
Thanks Mark but Im staying pretty simple and cheap... remember I'm frugal!! :eusa_naug

I laminated two pieces of 3/4" MDF and edged them with some left over IPE... That is like concrete edging... LOL

Next I built a jig for the plate... When I bought my saw last year it came with a nice plate and Bosch router for the side table which I did not want to install next to my saw.

I made the cut and it fits like a glove!!

All that is left is the T-channel and the fence..

Last edited:

richlife

New User
Rich

I can't speak for Steve, but I am definitely interested! :wsmile:

Ok. The article is from FWW Issue #169, page 58. Title is "A Versatile Router Table", subtitled: "This economical design is capable of conventional, overhead or horizontal routing". It's from April 2004. While it includes the plan for legs, I think it could be adapted to any router table plan.

I have a decent commercial (Sears) router table with a flat MDF top, a multi-adjustable fence, dust collection port, and T-channels to which I added the Bench Dog aluminum plate. I use a Freud 3 1/4 hp router (reviewed here: http://www.amazon.com/Freud-FT3000V...ref=sr_1_5?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1316266328&sr=1-5 -- I updated that in the comments) and have been satisfied enough with it that the "super" table remains on my wishlist. Of course now and then I wish I'd already made time to build the new table... :wwink:

Rich

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member

Ok. The article is from FWW Issue #169, page 58. Title is "A Versatile Router Table", subtitled: "This economical design is capable of conventional, overhead or horizontal routing". It's from April 2004. While it includes the plan for legs, I think it could be adapted to any router table plan.

I have a decent commercial (Sears) router table with a flat MDF top, a multi-adjustable fence, dust collection port, and T-channels to which I added the Bench Dog aluminum plate. I use a Freud 3 1/4 hp router (reviewed here: http://www.amazon.com/Freud-FT3000V...ref=sr_1_5?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1316266328&sr=1-5 -- I updated that in the comments) and have been satisfied enough with it that the "super" table remains on my wishlist. Of course now and then I wish I'd already made time to build the new table... :wwink:

Rich

Thanks Rich. It just so happens that I have the FWW dvd with all issues from 1975-2010. :eusa_danc

That table has some nice features that may be incorporated into my next router table.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS