new nova 16-24 lathe

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff oldham

New User
jeff
this is going to be kinda lengthy but I hope yall can help me,,i had a rikon mini lathe which was great,,never gave me a bit of trouble and I got a larger nova 16 24,,well the spindle size was different,,,the rikon was 1x8 and the nova was 1 1/4 x8,,so they gave mw the adapter to bring it down and just to mention I do have the nova infinity chuck,,well I mounted a 4 in x 14 in block of wood and it shook so bad the wood came flying off and I was on a lower speed,,i looked at the spindle and it was no where true,,so I took it off,,the adapter that is and it appeared to run very true,,i called woodcraft and nova and woodcraft said the adapter was made by easy way,,not nova,,and the man at nova said that was the problem,,it needed to be a nova reducer,,,so I guess my question is,,has anyone else experienced this or can give me some advice,,actually im ready to take it back and stick to my rikon

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Its hard to blame the adapter if it ran true on your Rikon, unless both the adapter and the spindle on the Rikon were both off and they somehow cancelled each other out!.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
I am no expert.
I can certainly see that the imbalance can have any number of causes. I would start with the adapter, as the piece easiest to change. I have the predecessor model to that Nova lathe, and while I have worked it hard lately, I have done any number of bowls without any imbalance issues (once the piece was actually round). Until then caution and care a definite4ly required.
Can you turn something using a faceplate to isolate the lathe spindle balance from the adapter and chuck issues?

Seems like with a little more investigation you might be able to isolate the cause, and thus prevent you from returning an otherwise solid lathe that should be a nice step up in capacity from a mini-lathe.

Henry

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
jeff
What happens without any wood on there?
Does faceplate use the adapter, or isi it sized for the 1 1/8 x 8 TRI? If no adapter there, then the spindle is vibrating (assuming wood mounted is not the issue)

You ought to be able to run a bare chuck or a faceplate to fairly high rpm without any vibration (of course I would not start at high rpm). That will tell you if it is the wood or mounting etc or the hardware.
If empty spindle does not vibrate (hard to tell, I think), I would try a new adapter first.

I have a Nova 3000 lathe I use with a chuck and adapter (Nova chuck, unsure of adapter brand), without issue.

Frustrating I am sure, and not an easy issue to troubleshoot or isolate the problem.

My GUESS would be the adapter.

Henry

ehpoole

Ethan
If you have a dial gauge and magnetic base (and if you don't they are inexpensive) then you may wish to measure for runout or wobble in the bare spindle (rotating by hand only) and then also measure for runout and wobble with your chuck perhaps also using a dial (or digital) caliper to verify the center mounting hole is properly centered (both sides) with respect to the chuck as a whole as any error in centering will create an off center mass.

Hopefully someone more familiar with lathes will be able to lend more specific help, or better still, you may wish to ask if anyone with more experience lives close enough by to drop in and take a look at it with you to see if the two if you can narrow down the issue together (plus it is a great way to make new friends) -- perhaps they can try running your chuck on their lathe as well for a second comparison point. That said, manufacturing errors can happen, but, outside of cheap knockoff parts, the issue is more often user or equipment issues, so those need to be carefully ruled out first. Also, make sure there is no missing hardware in the chuck as such would make one side lighter than the rest creating imbalance issues. You may also wish to contact the manufacturer for technical assistance as they may be able to help you identify the source of the problem since they should know their product well and want you to enjoy your purchase.

I wish you all the best in your quest!

Leviblue

Kevin
Corporate Member
It's possible the reducer is not within spec. I've had similar issues with scroll chucks and the insert used was not manufactured to a tight specification. Nova reducers are made to a tighter spec.

Rick M

New User
Rick
This has to be measured at the source and is difficult to diagnose over the internet or phone. Put a dial indicator on the spindle, then the adapter, then adapter + chuck. You will have your answer quickly. My guess is either the lathe spindle or adapter is out since the Nova chuck ran true on the old lathe.

Mike Mills

New User
Mike
I mounted a 4 in x 14 in block of wood and it shook so bad the wood came flying off and I was on a lower speed
I assume this was a bowl blank 14" diameter, not a spindle blank 14" long. For a bowl blank that large I go with about the 680 speed as it should be fairly true from turning the bottom before mounting in the chuck.

It sounds like the adapter to me. I assume when you tried it with a faceplate you used the adapter and a 1X8 faceplate?
Did you try the 1.25X8 faceplate that came with the lathe?

I assume you already had the chuck with no problems since it had the insert for 1X8.

AFAIK Nova does not make a Spindle Adapter/Reducer. Most of their chucks take an Insert/Adapter to fit the lathe spindle; so no need for something to make the spindle fit the chuck.

I haven't used a spindle adapter because it adds two more surfaces to mate properly.
I have heard from several folks that the PSI spindle adapter runs true if you want one to use for other faceplates or turning items such as for pens.
For the chuck I would get a new insert.
Amazon carries the PSI spindle adapter and the Nova insert for not much more than your current spindle adapter.
http://www.amazon.com/NOVA-ILNS-4-I...qid=1465330803&ref_=sr_1_fkmr1_2&sr=8-2-fkmr1
http://www.amazon.com/PSI-Woodworking-LA11418-Headstock-Spindle/dp/B000KIADBS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors