New guy In Mooresville

Status
Not open for further replies.

univland

New User
John
Hey All -

I haven't done woodworking since high school about 20 years ago. Two weeks ago I was bored and decided to build a two seater adirondack rocker I found plans for online. 8 hours later it was on the patio, and came out pretty good (pictures coming soon). I have since built a jewelry box for my wife for Christmas, and a desk for my daughter. My knowledge is limited, but I have been building things my whole life. I'm looking to find some good ideas for things to build for my boys ages 10 and 7 for Christmas. I don't know how to do dovetail joints. Should I buy a jig? What's the best way? I look forward to learning more as I am constantly looking forward to time in my make shift shop building things. Also could use a point in the right direction on where to buy lumber around here...............Thanks All............Univland........John

dozer

Mike
Hi John welcome to the site, I don't know a whole lot about dovetails myself but from what i have been reading I believe I am going to go with hand cut dovetails. As for a good wood supplier try East Wake Hardwoods in Zebulon. Roger the owner is a good guy and has some really nice wood.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Welcome John. I am glad that you could join us. To start looking for a wood supplier in your area check out the NC Wood Suppliers link in green in the top menu. It's a list we've complied of suppliers used by members across the state.
For DT, there are so many ways that they can be done. It's very hard to say which is right. Some methods are easier for some folks, others are more customizable, and some are just downright expensive. I have a Leigh D1600, and it does a great job and is easy to set up IMO. I have hand cut DTs before (I need a lot more practice). Often it is easiest to learn to hand cut DTs as it take a good bit of time and expense to set up a jig, especially for a few quick joints.
I am sure that you will get many more opinions soon.
See you around!!!

Dave:)

skeeter

New User
Charles
Hello John and welcome to the site. Can't help with a wood supplier, I guess mine would be too far away, but the site listing of suppliers is a pretty good place to start. I am trying to teach myself to cut dovetails by hand. I think that's a mark of good craftsmanship. However, I've read members comments about how quick they can set up their jigs, so I guess it's just a matter of preference. Good luck and post pictures of your work, we all like pictures!!

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
Welcome John. You have entered the best woodworking site on the WWW. So I will not even attempt to help with your question there are allot more qualified people here that can help. Pictures did you say picture? We love pictures and are looking forward to seeing yours :eusa_danc

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Welcome neighbor---------I think you will enjoy this group of people. Looking forward to your input and the pics of your work.:)

Jerry

cskipper

Cathy
Welcome to the group! Sounds like you are off and running. Looking forward to the pictures.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Welcome John! Great group of folks here with lots of knowledge to share. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do :mrgreen:

Roger

jtdums

New User
Jim
Welcome John,
I'm here in Mooresville too. I'm not much of a dovetail joiner so I can't help you there. I'm always looking for projects to build for my girls (2 & 3). Lots of great ones out there on the internet.
Lately I've been primarily turning so I haven't needed a wood supplier. Hope you enjoy the site and pass along any project ideas.

SSuther

New User
Stan
Hello, John. I'm another Mooresvillian member of the group, and these folks have been great to discuss woodworking stuff with. Regarding the dovetail stuff, I've done a few and aim to get better at it. There is lots of information on various web sites that give instruction on marking and cutting dovetails. Just Google/Yahoo the subject, and you'll find lots. A good saw and a few good chisels will go a long way to getting you started. I've got several saws that will do the job, but one of my best is an inexpensive gent style, so you don't necessarily have to spend big bucks to have one that will work. I'll be happy for you to visit my shop sometime, and I'll show you what I've learned so far. I am by no means an expert, but I'm willing to share.

BILLY PAGE

New User
Billy
Welcome John. This is a great site and a greater group. I have learned so much just reading the post. Even got answers to questions I didn't know I had until then.

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
Hey John, I'm a new guy too, and work in Mooresville, live close by in Maiden. Looks like there are several of us near by, so we should have lots of good support if we need it. My dovetailing consists of a jig and the use of incrajig stuff on a router table. I've not tried hand cut ones yet, but my new workbench will have some that can only be cut by hand, so guess I will find out how easy it really is. I've been told it is easier than using the jig once you learn how. I enjoy pictures too, lots of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS