New Guy from Greensboro

Status
Not open for further replies.

sightandsounds

New User
Trent
Hello to all of you. I've been lurking here for a few days and am impressed and humbled by the talent and knowledge here.

Here's a little about me. I'm 42 years old, married with 2 step kids who are out on their own and my 16 year old son who still lives at home. I design and install commercial audio-visual and control systems for a living. Fishing is my real passion. I particularly love fly fishing, but its all great. I'm also and avid boater and I plan to build a canoe this year.

Not long ago, I got permission from my wife to convert our storage room to a shop. I've always enjoyed designing and making stuff and have dreamed of the day when I could have a shop. Of course, in my dreams the space was larger and the tools were better. Much of what I have is used stuff I found at a deal on craigslist.

It has become very clear in a short period of time that woodworking is not as simple as I thought initially. Still, it's a path that I want to persue. I look forward to meeting the gang.

Tight lines,

Trent

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site, Trent!:icon_cheers

I am sure that you will get plenty of enjoyment and learn plenty here at the site. Lot's of great woodworkers always willing to offer advice. Be it. Tools, shops, projects or wood procurement.

Have fun and don't forget to post some of those project pictures. We love pictures!:wsmile:

Have fun and stay safe.

Wayne

Glennbear

Glenn
Welcome Trent, we do not have much audio to offer but since we love pictures lots of visual fun. :wsmile:

M

McRabbet

Welcome to the website, Trent -- and I must admit, it has been awhile since I heard a woodworker close a post with "Tight Lines" -- that was one of my Dad's favorite sign-offs as he was also an avid fly fisherman. I used to do lots of it. I caught some very nice Brown Trout in my youth in upstate NY and have fly fished rivers in Oregon (got a nice 7# Steelhead) and Scotland (got a beautiful salmon). And I've even cast bucktail streamers for Northern Pike in western Ontario and largemouth bass when I lived in the Triangle area. I now live near pretty good trout waters, but haven't fly fished in years. Sorry, I digressed!

Welcome to the site -- I know you'll find good people and plenty of good advice and knowledge. We'll look forward to your input to the forums.

And by all means, "Tight Lines"!

b4man

New User
Barbara
Hey there Trent, glad you found us and happy to have another Triad member:icon_thum

Barbara

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Wait a minute. There's another Trent now? :icon_scra It's too early on a Monday for this. :swoon: I'm calling in sick. :rotflm::rotflm::rotflm:

Welcome to the site Trent. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap I think many of us can relate to the shop not being as big as we would prefer and wanting newer, better tools things. Well, you've definitely found the right group of folks to help ya spend money on tools. :gar-La; Nah, seriously, this is a wonderful group of folks and it's great to have you here. :eek:ccasion1

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome Trent. Glad you joined the friendliest site on the web. Make sure you post pictures. We love pictures.

JCraig

New User
Jerry
Welcome to the site. I also live in Greensboro also, so if I can be of any help please let me know. I have a small shop and also started with a couple of vintage tools,(table saw, jointer). Have been fortunate, through the help of several folks at NCWW, to find really great deals on a couple of Delta tools,(Band Saw and Drill Press) I think you will find everyone here will be more than happy to help and answer questions that you may have.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Welcome to NCWWer, Trent!
If we put our shops together the result would still be too small:icon_thum

Roger

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Welcome Trent.

NCWW is a great place and many friends can be made through this site.

Would love to see some of your work~!

sightandsounds

New User
Trent
Thank you all for the warm welcome! :thumbs_up

I've been making some small stuff just trying to get used to the tools. I'm really struggling with the lack of accuracy so far. I don't know if it's me, the tools, probably more me. I have a lot to learn.

I picked up a used 6" jointer (Craftsman Professional) over the weekend. The spring was missing on the guard. After finding an online list of injuries caused by jointers, I decided to fix the spring. This required that I install a screw for the spring to attach. While screwing in the screw with my cordless drill, the bit slipped off of the screw head and deep into the pad of my index finger. This made a good amount of blood and spontaneous 4 letter words. My first and hopefully only accident with the jointer was caused by fixing the SAFETY mechanism.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I only drive wood screws with the drill/driver. All machine screws get turned by hand. Too easy to strip the screw head with a drill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS