New from Raleighwood

Status
Not open for further replies.

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Just joined today after seeing a flyer in the Raleigh Woodcraft while picking up some BB squares I ordered. I've been tinkering in WW for some time now and I'm by no means really great at any aspect of woodworking but I'm constantly learning (or is that screwing up!!) and getting hopefully better. My wife and I started making things for ourselves for decoration and use around the house and that turned into making some stuff for friends and family. After making a table cover, plaques, growth charts, and some other random stuff my wife convinced me that we should start making things to sell so I went along with it. We're literally just getting started and trying not to get overwhelmed with everything that's involved with starting a small business.

A sampling of our things can be found on our web site www.housecreekcreations.com if anyone is interested in taking a peek. Some of the items, like the cross boxes and stools, we didn't actually build but just decorated using woodburning and stain/paint.

Well, this was a rather lengthy intro and I've already found a wealth of information in the short time I've known about the site and am sure I'll find lots more. I look forward to learning more and hopefully contributing some along the way as well.

Regards,
Brian.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Welcome Brian, I am glad that you found us and could join in. I have always said that a day without learning about this craft or anything else for that matter is a day wasted. Hopefully we all will never stop learning and improving. Your website is very good and I really like the craft-work that you offer. That is an excellent way to find a good niche market. I wish that someday I could take the risk to try to turn this hobby into something more profitable.
I look forward to your input in the forums and seeing more of your work, especially with more explanation on how you do it (the learning thing :icon_thum) plus my wife would love some things like you create (must hide your website from her).
Thanks for the intro...nice to meet you:eusa_clap
See you around!!!!!

Dave:)

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Dave, thanks for the welcome and compliments.

Most of the credit (or blame) belongs to my wife as she does all the designing and woodburning. It all started when we saw (and bought) a coffee/game table that was decorated by woodburning and then decided that it was too nice to let our first daughter destroy so it needed a cover to protect it. My wife is artistic and expressed interest in trying her hand at woodburning something to cover the table. I did a lot of research online and found a midrange/entry level burner at what I thought was a good price and gave it to her for Christmas. She turned out to be somewhat of a natural and picked it up rather quickly and is still experimenting with different techniques. I can cut the wood (usually), prep, top coat, lay out the game boards, and do a good deal of the staining (she handles all the cool shading tasks) and slot them for hanging. We want to start making some tables from the ground up but it's a bit daunting for me since the octagon table on our site was my first table building experience and the ones we want to build would be a bit more complicated. So we'll see how well I can cope, overcome the learning curve, and how much more firewood I can create!

Brian.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Welcome to the friendliest group of sawdust makers assembled in one place. I looked at your site and really like your work. I look forward to your input in the forums and look forward to seeing some of your work.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Dave, thanks for the welcome and compliments.

Most of the credit (or blame) belongs to my wife as she does all the designing and woodburning. It all started when we saw (and bought) a coffee/game table that was decorated by woodburning and then decided that it was too nice to let our first daughter destroy so it needed a cover to protect it. My wife is artistic and expressed interest in trying her hand at woodburning something to cover the table. I did a lot of research online and found a midrange/entry level burner at what I thought was a good price and gave it to her for Christmas. She turned out to be somewhat of a natural and picked it up rather quickly and is still experimenting with different techniques. I can cut the wood (usually), prep, top coat, lay out the game boards, and do a good deal of the staining (she handles all the cool shading tasks) and slot them for hanging. We want to start making some tables from the ground up but it's a bit daunting for me since the octagon table on our site was my first table building experience and the ones we want to build would be a bit more complicated. So we'll see how well I can cope, overcome the learning curve, and how much more firewood I can create!

Brian.

Brian, I can build the stuff, it's the artistic touches that I am lacking. If you need any help building the structure that you and your wife can do the art on just let me know. Tables ain't hard, art is :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Dave:)

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Brian, very impressive work. I am really glad you joined our friendly sawdust pile. I look forward to seeing more of your work and getting your input on the various topics. One thing you must learn up front, we love pictures.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Welcome Brian!!!!:eusa_danc

Glad you could join us and share some of your and your LOYL's talented ideas in the crafts area. I was very impressed with the simplicity and ease of use of your website. Nice work!!

Sure is a lot to learn from this very talented membership! Oh ya. And.......we certainly like pictures!:wsmile:

See ya!

Wayne

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Brian, welcome to the friendliest saw dust making people on the web. Nice stuff on your website:icon_thum Look forward to seeing more and reading your inputs

Phillip

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Glad to have you in the group, Brian. You'll like this bunch of wood butchers and spinners. AND, we'll look forward to your input as well.

Welcome aboard!

:wwink:

cskipper

Cathy
Welcome to our group! I envy your wife's artistic ability. We have another member who also scrolls and paints -Rita541 who'll probably say hi later!

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
WOW, what a warm reception!!

I can't believe I wasn't even a member a full day before being extended some very generous offers of assistance. :notworthy:

Dave, I may take you up on your offer. We pretty much know what we want for the table design and it's pretty "simple". The hurdles are mainly gonna be materials, tools (i.e. funds!), normal fear of screwing up and getting mid-project only to realize I've far surpassed my skill level!! We need to get past the 2 upcoming fairs we've got and a much needed family vacation before I even consider tackling any new and bigger projects.

I've def got a lot of reading to catch up on and need to get a gallery up as well as get pics taken of all the new stuff we're working on so I can get our site updated as well.

Thnx again to everyone for their responses.

B.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Welcome to NCWWer, Brian!
We look forward to your input and good luck with the business :icon_thum

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS